4g support list for Zyxel ex5601-T0

RobertGillard
RobertGillard Posts: 9  Freshman Member
First Comment Friend Collector

Hi and thanks in advance.

I have a Zyxel ex5601-T0 and I am trying to setup my 4G backup.

I have a Huawei E3372-325 dongle.

The link light comes up green on the dongle but the Zyxel router reports Card Description N/A and when I disconnect the WAN port I lose my internet connection.

The system info page so no device for the 3G/4G(USB).

Current Firmware Version: V5.70(ACDZ.3)C0
Current WWAN Package Version: 1.24

I cant find a wwan firmware update or a list of supported dongles anywhere so if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Rob.

All Replies

• tonygibbs16
    tonygibbs16 Posts: 941  Guru Member
    50 Answers 500 Comments Friend Collector Third Anniversary
    edited September 12

Hello @RobertGillard

Welcome to the forum.

I have looked in the user guide for EX5601-T0 https://spdl.zyxel.com/EX5601-T0/user_guide/EX5601-T0_OPAL-Series%20%28EX5601-T0%29_UG_V5.15-5.70_Ed17.pdf linked from https://www.zyxel.com/service-provider/emea/en/products/ethernet-cpe/ethernet-iads/ex5601ex5600-t-series and it says update the firmware to get the latest WWAN support, see below extract.

Unfortunately, I cannot find a list of supported WWAN devices.

The latest firmware is 5.70(ACDZ.3.2)C0 available under Downloads & resources at https://www.zyxel.com/service-provider/emea/en/products/ethernet-cpe/ethernet-iads/ex5601ex5600-t-series from August 2024 at it includes the WWAN package 1.24, see below:

I hope that this is helpful.

Kind regards,

Tony

PS: I have seen other things on the Internet about Zyxel doing fixes to support

3G dongle Huawei E3131i-2

in 2016, but no mention of wwan fixes in the latest EX5601-T0 release note https://spdl.zyxel.com/EX5601-T0/firmware%28public_version%29/EX5601-T0_5.70%28ACDZ.3.2%29C0.pdf and the WWAN package is 1.24 that is the same as you have now.

• RobertGillard

Hi,

Thanks for having a look it seems you have pretty much confirmed what I already found so at least it's not just me being dense.

I also tried an older E392u-12 I have but no joy.

I would give an E3131i-2 a go but I need a dongle with an external antenna.

I have also asked my ISP hopefully they will come back with something.

• Peter2
    Peter2 Posts: 118  Ally Member
    5 Answers First Comment Friend Collector Community MVP

Yes the current WWAN package is 1.24 you can check it in the firmware menu .

I tested a 3372 with zycel device and it worked fine , you have to configurate it in the wan menu compare the requested values

with the values of your 3 or 4G ISP . But my stick functioned directly without changing default values .

Test the stick with another device it is functioning for example directly without drivers with a chromebook .

If it is plugged in and the networking device you only have to try access with browser . You configurate in browser for example if you want to use a pin or not .

• RobertGillard

I think I have got to the bottom of it.

The stick I have is E3372h-325 I need an E3372s-153.

The h stands for Hilink the s stands for stick mode.

The h firmware functions as a router the s firmware functions as a modem.

There are a lot of articles about re flashing h firmware to s firmware but they say it does not work on versions higher the -320.

I will order an s model and give that a go.

• Peter2
    edited September 13

I thougt have a E3372-325 Lte Usb Dongle Modem and its ok with Zycel device

but i found the old package and there stands E3372h-153

So i cannot say if the -325 is functioning well , sorry

According to the manual the LED colour green is signaling 2G Network , in my country there is no data acces with 2G anymore or even 3G but only 4G …. card description N/A means "not available" is this correct ?

Did you configured in webbrowser , there you can look which Net is preferred …

• RobertGillard

I configured it fine in the Modems web browser (192.168.8.1) and it connects to the 4g network it even connects when connected to the routers usb port it just won't communicate with the router.

There are lots of comments out there stating firmware earlier than -320 can be mode switched from HiLink to Stickmode sometimes also described as bridging mode but for models above -320 it can't be done at least not without taking the stick apart shorting a pin to enable a re-flash of the firmware.

I found a seller who confirmed the stick they are selling is a E3372sh-153 so I have ordered one. I wil come back once I have it and confirm if it works.

Thanks for all the advice.

• Peter2
    edited September 13

Yes i think youre right , i found a source about . So i learned that my version is ideal for Routers because it works as a modem …

But with my chromebook it behaves like described for hilink : it offers a virtual network card , no drivers or software is needed .

I look for this old buy at Amazon an then looked to the product discription and it shows the h version , but i had the original package and there stood "S" Version .

I found the information that fritzboxes too does not support the h -325 :

Huawei E3372-325 wird nicht unterstützt

Der Mobilfunk-Stick E3372-325 von Huawei kann nicht am USB-Anschluss der FRITZ!Box eingesetzt werden, da dieser Mobilfunk-Stick nicht alle gängigen AT-Befehle unterstützt und von der FRITZ!Box daher nicht angesteuert werden kann.

• RobertGillard

So the saga continues. I ordered an E3372s.

I plugged it in and 3G modem was recognized, success I think!

All configured up and then disconnect the Ethernet WAN cable to test.

I get about 5 seconds of internet access via the 4G and then the router crashes :(

Web GUI becomes unresponsive I can't even ping the router IP.

Requires a power cycle to get back into it.

• tonygibbs16
    tonygibbs16 Posts: 941  Guru Member
    50 Answers 500 Comments Friend Collector Third Anniversary

Hello @RobertGillard

You might want to try upgrading to 3.2 firmware version to see if this fixes the crash now your USB modem is recognised.

Kind regards Tony

• Peter2
    edited September 15

Did you configured the stick with our without pin request ?

Did you configured the connection in the router as permanent or backup ?

"Disconnect the DSL/Ethernet/Fiber WAN ports to use the cellular dongle as your primary WAN connection, as the Zyxel Device automatically uses a wired WAN connection when available"

Consumer Product Help Center