NWA130BE firmware update from 6.75p0 to 7.00p2 or p3 fails

BranMan
BranMan Posts: 15  Freshman Member
First Comment Friend Collector

I just bought an NWA130BE for testing and evaluation and, while the AP is now fully configured in local admin mode with no other oddities, I cannot get firmware to update from 6.75p0 to 7.00p2 or the newly released (as of October 21, 2024) p3. I've disabled ad and script blockers, turned off all extensions, switched browsers from Firefox to Vivaldi, checksum-ed the firmware ZIP files (they're fine, and the extracted files are coherent), and I'm using a PoE++ injector so the device is running in full power mode. Nothing useful is left in the logs after reboot so I'm considering logging to an external host but I haven't gotten there yet. Network setup is statically configured and works fine. Speed tests have been consistently positive so far with no loss or complications. So what am I missing? Or what can I try next to debug the failure? Or has this problem been identified elsewhere already?

All Replies

• BranMan

I suppose that I should also mention that I have tried updating firmware via the pop-up dialog immediately upon login, the "Maintenance > Firmware Package > Upload File > Browse and Upload" dialog, and the "Maintenance > Firmware Package > Cloud Firmware Information > Check Now" dialog. They all appear to update properly but once the UI (again, in standalone mode) comes back, the dashboard still reports, "V6.75(0) / 2024-03-21 00:35:15". And this is a low-priority ask. I just need to cover this topic before getting serious about testing the WBE660S which uses the same firmware. The recommendations on that device will be much more important. Thanks.

• Zyxel_Kay
    Zyxel_Kay Posts: 987  Zyxel Employee
    Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 2 - Nebula Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 2 - WLAN Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 2 - Switch Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 2 - Security

Hi @BranMan

We've tested the upgrade process from V6.75P0 to V7.00P3 on our end using Firefox (version 131.0.3, 64-bit) without extensions and did not encounter the same issue, as the firmware upgrade completed successfully.

To help troubleshoot your situation further, here are some suggestions you can try:

1. Browser: Use a different browser with no extensions installed, as some might interfere with the process.
    2. On-Site Update: If you're attempting the upgrade remotely, try performing the update on-site, without VPN access, to eliminate potential network-related issues.
    3. Alternative Methods: Consider using alternative methods for upgrading the firmware, such as FTP or the ZON utility. You can refer to the following guides for assistance:

If the issue persists after trying these methods, we’d appreciate it if you could provide additional information for further investigation. Specifically, please share the following details via private message:

• A video recording showing the entire firmware upgrade process.
    • Diagnostic information collected from the local GUI.

With this information, we’ll be able to assist you more effectively.

Kay

Engage in the Community, become an MVP, and win exclusive prizes! https://bit.ly/Community_MVP

• BranMan

I have tried Firefox, Vivaldi, and Chrome, all current versions, on Windows 10, Ubuntu Cinnamon 24.04LTS, and ESR versions of Firefox and Vivaldi on Windows 7, with extensions enabled and disabled, and Enhanced Tracking Protection turned OFF, on a total of 5 different machines, for a total of at least 20 different permutations, with exactly the same result each time. Changing my attention from the browser to the network, I moved the AP from a small fan-out switch to a core Arista switch, no change. I also tried the FTP upgrade method suggested, no change, although the process does appear to proceed normally and the FTP session claims, "firmware verifying, firmware updating". Then I tried a cross-over ethernet cable and the AP or PoE injector didn't like that so I used a small dedicated switch with just the AP and the management laptop connected, no change. I have collected diagnostic information, a screenshot of the FTP session, and a brief video of the process which I will PM to you.

• Zyxel_Kay
    Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 2 - Nebula Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 2 - WLAN Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 2 - Switch Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 2 - Security

Hi @BranMan

Thank you for sharing the relevant information via private message. After reviewing the video and diagnostic data, we've identified an abnormal behavior during the update process that is preventing the firmware from being successfully applied through the standard methods.

We suggested to contacting your local Zyxel support to proceed with an RMA process:

Kay

Engage in the Community, become an MVP, and win exclusive prizes! https://bit.ly/Community_MVP

• BranMan

Do you have a better link for US warranty return? The "mysupport.zyxel.com" portal won't let me log in and the "Support" chat link gives me an error when I try to use it. I don't need the warranty information, I need a "start RMA support request here" link if possible. Thank you for all of your help thus far.

• Zyxel_Kay

Hi @BranMan

You don’t need to log in to submit the RMA request. Simply click the "✉️ Submit Request" button here, enter your contact details and describe your issue. Once submitted, you'll receive a confirmation email. Our US support team will get in touch with you shortly. In the Description section, you can include a link to this forum post to help them review your issue more quickly.

Kay

• BranMan

I was eventually able to both log in and submit a request. At the time I last wrote the mysupport site was not acting properly. It appears to be fixed now. Thank you for your assistance thus far.