Bad performance for Wired?

Options
SwedBear
SwedBear Posts: 3  Freshman Member
edited March 2018 in Multy WiFi System
I'm currently testing the MultyX (have a Orbi 3000 before) and getting some weird results.
The MultyX is placed at the same places as the Orbi was placed.

I got 1000/1000 fiber and a setup where I have a ethernet-cable from the router to a switch which then provides a few rooms in the house with ethernet via cable.

Internet => Orbi => Switch => HP Spectre computer = around 800/800 Mbps

When I do the same test with the MultyX I get some weird result:

Internet => MultyX => Switch => HP Spectre computer = around 248/340 Mbps
Internet => MultyX => HP Spectre computer = around 250/340 Mbps

I set up LAN Speed Test on another computer in the network (connected via Wired) and ran a test from my HP SPectre to this computer by hooking up the HP to the switch and then directly to the MultyX and both gave me around 800/800 Mbps so the switch functionality in the MultyX seems to work fine.

Running all sorts of tests via WiFi in the house against speedtest.net (and a close server) I never exceeded ~250/340 Mbps even in places my Orbi managed to give my HP (and a Mac Book pro) much better speeds. 

The MultyX is supposed to have similar specs as the Orbi so why the limited WAN-speed? or is there something I've turned on that limites the MultyX ...?

#MultyX_March

All Replies

• Hanamichi
    Hanamichi Posts: 125  Ally Member
    Options
    Hi SwedBear,
    It's really weird. In the same topology, Orbi is working fine.
    Below are my questions about your case.
    - What is firmware version of your Multy X?
    - Is only one Multy X device in your house?
    - Can you share Diagnose result of Multy X app?
    - Do you try to change another LAN port of Multy X to test?
    - When you replace to Multy X, is it connected to the same port of modem which Orbi connected before?
    - Is possible to share more information?
  • SwedBear
    SwedBear Posts: 3  Freshman Member
    Options
    Sure, no problem. 

- What is firmware version of your Multy X?
    Node 1 (acting as router): V1.00(ABKJ.4)C0
    Node 2: V1.00(ABKJ.4)C0

- Is only one Multy X device in your house?
    One pair of MultyX with one as the main node/router and the other in another part of the house. 

- Can you share Diagnose result of Multy X app?
    Internet to Node 1: 716/945 Mbps (I LOVE having 1 Gbps internet :) )
    Internet to Node 2: 261/341 Mbps
    Node 1 to Node 2: 396/277 Mbps

- Do you try to change another LAN port of Multy X to test?
    I will do that as soon as I get home

- When you replace to Multy X, is it connected to the same port of modem which Orbi connected before?
    Yes. I just moved the WAN-cable from the Orbi to the MultyX.

- Is possible to share more information?
    Well, I've been busy benching the MultyX from various places in the house and comparing to the Orbi.

HP Spectre laptop via cable to MultyX to the Internet (speedtest.net): 248/341 Mbps
    HP Spectre laptop via cable to MultyX to a local computer (Lan Speed test): 900/880 Mbps

Even standing in the same room as Node 1 = the computer should be connected to the main Node, over wireless I get no more than around 200-350 Mbps while I got up to 500 Mbps on the Orbi. 

I've made sure to test to the same servers at speedtest.net as well as to my computer in the local network so I get comparable results. I also use the same computer and make sure I do my testing when the rest of the family is asleep so no-one is using Netflix etc. My ISP here in Sweden is Telia. 

It does seem that the internet speed is great between the MultyX and Internet (Internet to node 1 above)  but the speed between a computer connected either via cable or via WiFi and the Internet tops out around 350 Mbps.

I'll get back when I switch LAN port. 

/Björn

• Hanamichi
    Hanamichi Posts: 125  Ally Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    On you first post about topology, 
    Internet => "Orbi" => Switch => HP Spectre computer = around 800/800 Mbps
    One Orbi device or two Orbi devices?
    Internet => "Multy X" => Switch => HP Spectre computer = around 248/340 Mbps
    Internet => "Multy X" => HP Spectre computer = around 250/340 Mbps
    One Multy X device or two Multy X devices?

And does Orbi and Multy X WiFi System are using wireless dedicated backhaul or Ethernet backhaul between two node?

From the diagnose, looks backhaul is about 300Mbps level in your topology.

When you do speed test again, can you also test:
    - HP Spectre laptop via cable to Node 1 with different LAN port
    - HP Spectre laptop via cable to Node 2 with different LAN port

BTW, if you uses "HP Spectre laptop" for the wireless client test, due to most laptop may not support 11k/11v and has stronger RF capability than mobiles, it could still connect on Node 2 when it move near Node 1. (Maybe you can turn off and turn on wireless feature of HP Spectre laptop to reconnect when it is close to Node 1 or shutdown Node 2.)

You also can try to use mobile device to test wireless speed.
    iOS devices:
    If mobile device is android, you may need to check its specification is supported 802.11kv or not.

Consumer Product Help Center