Nas520 - Share ftp folders on external drive for individual users

Options
vinprom
vinprom Posts: 15  Freshman Member
First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector
edited January 2019 in Personal Cloud Storage
Hi, i have external USB hard drive and want assign rights to individual folders to individual users?
Example:
HDD > Folder1
         >Folder2
I want give for Username1 right only for Folder1 and for User2 right only for Folder2

But now I can`t add separate folders but only the entire external disk (HDD) so that individual users can see all the folders (Folder1 and Folder2) on the hard disk and I do not want that ...

#NAS_Jan_2019

Comments

• Batou
    Batou Posts: 101  Ally Member
    Options
    it should be not possible, even for internal folder, because external folder just like admin/music/video/photo, and through web page, it is only allowed to set privilege on admin/music/video/photo.
    So if you want to do that, you should use second USB drive.
  • vinprom
    Options
    Very bad. This is elementary for every ftp server (user privileges). I do not have the resources to put a separate external hdd for each user. I'm just going to be very expensive and it makes no sense. admin/music/video/photo as far as I know they are only for internal hdd and I do not want my web cameras to write non-stop on them.

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,605  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options
    I think there is a work-around. Create the directories on the USB disk, then create symlinks on /i-data/sysdisk/ pointing to that directories. After that you can configure that symlinks as internal shares.
  • vinprom
    Options
    Mijzelf please give me a example how to do symlinks for folder1/user1, folder2/user2, folder3/user3. I'm Beginner and not understand how to do that.

• Mijzelf
    Options
    Well, I don't know where your USB disk is mounted, but it's something like /e-data/<long-hex-code>/

To create the symlinks, you'll have to login (as root with the admin password) via telnet or ssh, which server has to be enabled in the System menu.
    Then execute
    <div>ln -s /e-data/<long-hex-code>/folder1 /i-data/sysvol/folder1<br></div><div></div>
    Now a 'folder1' should appear in the main volume, which you can share and set access rights. The second 'folder1' doesn't have to have the same name as the folder it's pointing to.
  • harshak
    harshak Posts: 1
    edited April 2019
    Options
    TUTU App has a champion among the best UIs which empowers customers to use it suitably. In like manner, in case they face any issue, they may get the help of the Tutuapp apk iOS  help center to get help. 

• vinprom
    Options
    Thanks Mijzelf , I created a symlink, but in the admin panel did not show this folder.
    Surely folder path should be describe in a some config file and then to appear in the admin panel...

• Mijzelf
    Options
    No. The admin panel parses /i-data/sysvol/ to see which directories are available.

Does
    ls -l /i-data/sysvol/ 
    show your symlink pointing to the right location, and does
    ls /i-data/sysvol/folder1 
    show the same content as
    ls /e-data/<long-hex-code>/folder1

• vinprom
    Options
    I already did that, but it does not work for me. I solved my problem by installing a ProFTPD server on my dedicated Linux server and I gave my rights as much as I wanted. I can not decipher on the Zyxel server.  Hopefully someday Zyxel to upgrade the firmware and fix this problem.Thanks for the help...

Consumer Product Help Center