WAH7706 4G router shuts down

Options
Kristjan
Kristjan Posts: 1
edited May 2019 in Smart Home Product
My WAH7706 shuts down even though it is plugged to power supply, 
even though I have disabled Wi-Fi Power Saving and WWAN Power Saving.
Is there something else I need to do?

#SP_Apr_2019

All Replies

• kili
    kili Posts: 1
    Options
    Same problem here...
  • bbb
    bbb Posts: 35  Freshman Member
    Options
    Hi Kristjan and kili, 

I have few questions: 
    1. Usually how do you re-charge the WAH7706? Do you connect the USB cable directly to a computer or do you connect to the power supply via a power socket?
    2. Before the WAH7706 shuts down, what is the user behavior? Do you watch videos or any other scenario which requires large data consumption?
    3. After the WAH7706 shuts down, can you power on the WAH7706 after re-charing the WAH7706 for half hour (use the same way you usually charge your WAH7706 to re-charge the device)?

Thanks
  • blitzkopf
    Options
    This happens with mine to. I have it constantly plugged in in the car to a power outlet that is on even when the ignition is off. I don't know exactly when it shuts down. It might happen when I turn off the car, or when I turn the car back on, it is possible that the power is cut for a second in either of these events. The battery is still fully charged when I turn the router back on.
  • bbb
    bbb Posts: 35  Freshman Member
    Options
    Hi blitzkopf, 

I don't know whether the WAH7706 would turn off in either event, but I'd suggest not to charge the WAH7706 in car because the power supply in vehicle is not as stable as regular indoor power supply. Also, I'd suggest not to consume the power but charge the device at the same time. If you're using the device, please do not charge it. Let the device consume power to 1 bar in the battery icon and charge it. 

Regards, 

Bob 
  • kl47
    kl47 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have the same problem. The WAH7706 is the LTE modem connected to a Raspberry Pi mini in a remote location. Both on the same 5.2V, 3A power supply. No problem with the Pi, it keeps running, but the Zyxel shuts down after a couple of days.

bbb wrote: "If you're using the device, please do not charge it. Let the device consume power to 1 bar in the battery icon and charge it."

I can hardly believe this. It means, that the WAH7706 can not be used unattended, 24/7!

Anybody any ideas?
    Greetings, Klaus

• dale2
    dale2 Posts: 2
    First Comment
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Same problem here, turned off unexpectedly after 48 hrs while plugged in to a USB charger

I was able to to restart it with some tinkering which included unplugging the USB power cable

but now I have a problem because it was meant to run unattended 24/7...

I wonder if the cause of the shutdown is overheating, and if that can be avoided by removing the battery? Does anyone know if the router will still operate without a battery, only on USB power? (I can't try that now because it's on a remote location)

Or maybe the cause is that the battery needs to discharge at regular intervals?

Either way, another possible workaround would be to add a timer on the power supply to turn the power off for some time every day, during which the router will run on battery power to (1) drain it somewhat, and (2) cool the device... but for how long will that be needed?

• dale2
    dale2 Posts: 2
    First Comment
    edited March 2021
    Options
    bbb said:

I'd suggest not to consume the power but charge the device at the same time. If you're using the device, please do not charge it. Let the device consume power to 1 bar in the battery icon and charge it.
    I think you mean do not use and charge the device at the same time... maybe having the USB power connected and using the modem at the same time can cause the device to overheat? But is it really necessary to let the battery drain completely?

Anyway, if you are correct, then the solution could be to set a timer on the USB charger so that it turns off during the day (when the device is in use, in my scenario) and on at night (when it is not being used)...
  • tonygibbs16
    tonygibbs16 Posts: 841  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Hello all,

I don't work for Zyxel, but what versions of firmware are you running?
        - Zyxel released an new version of firmware in February 2021 as v1.00(ABBC.12)C0 see ftp://ftp.zyxel.com/WAH7706/firmware/ 

Are your devices completely powering off or just the OLED display turning off?
                 - maybe knowing what the OLED display is saying at the time of power off would be good.

The firmware release notes from February 2021 don't mention any fixes for issues like these.

I hope that this is useful.

Kind regards,
          Tony

• tonygibbs16
    tonygibbs16 Posts: 841  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options
    Hi all,

In the firmware release notes for v1.00(ABBC.10)C0 at ftp://ftp.zyxel.com/WAH7706/firmware/WAH7706_V1.00(ABBC.10)C0_2.pdf there are some mentions of battery and power issues that were fixed.
        - In ABBC.9, it says the following:
    • HW ver.: EPR
    • FW ver.: V1.00(ABBC.9)C0
    • FW change notes: 
    • Features:
    •     Apply new battery level definition
    •     Add Vodafone Iceland and TDC Norway to the auto APN list
    •    Change DHCP max lease time to 14400 minutes
    and in ABBC.2, it says the following:
    • HW ver.: EPR
    • FW ver.: V1.00(ABBC.2)C0, (WAH7706_m00.00_v01.08.1601200)
    • Modem ver.: MPSS.BO.2.0.1.c3.12-00010-M9635TAAAANAZM-1
    • FW change notes: 
    •         DUT can connect to internet after set incorrect apn when network is 4G mode.
    •         Add multi-language
    •         Add max Wi-Fi client setting
    •        When current statistics of received count to 4GB and it will reset to count from 0 .
    •        The WPS GUI will display abnormal
    •        WWAN Power Saving doesn't work.
    I hope that this is helpful.

Kind regards,
         Tony

Consumer Product Help Center