[NAS326] : Why CPU is always at 100% and HDDs never stop?

Options
zappa53
zappa53 Posts: 2  Freshman Member
edited November 2019 in Personal Cloud Storage
Hi all,
after 48 hrs of continuos grinding of the HDDs, even with all pc of the LAN disconnected and switched off, I start worrying about the possible damages of such so high and unexplicable over-activity.
The CPU is 100% all the time, even if it should have nothing to do, with all devices disconnected.
Having disabled all that one could disable, starting from Twonky Server, what the hell is doing my NAS?
Should I switch it off, reset or whatsoever to do before it will burn both my brand new 2TB WD red.
Being my first Zyxel NAS, I've got no previous usage experience and found no more hints than disabling what I have already disabled.
Any suggestion for such case from more experienced users?
Thank to all in advance.

#NAS_Nov_2019

Accepted Solution

• zappa53
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Self-answer: problem solved.
    Despite my belief that the high-load CPU functions were all disabled, I discovered from the logs, seeing the process appear intermittently, that the thumbnail generation did not stop, but was still active, who knows why.
    I re-disabled the function and turned off the NAS: upon restarting, the CPU finally stopped working in overload and, after the series of resynchronization operations, the HDDs could finally go on standby (it was time).

All Replies

• zappa53
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Self-answer: problem solved.
    Despite my belief that the high-load CPU functions were all disabled, I discovered from the logs, seeing the process appear intermittently, that the thumbnail generation did not stop, but was still active, who knows why.
    I re-disabled the function and turned off the NAS: upon restarting, the CPU finally stopped working in overload and, after the series of resynchronization operations, the HDDs could finally go on standby (it was time).

• franzk
    franzk Posts: 16  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector
    Options

Why do we use a NAS with so many services if we have to disable them, because the system is overwhelmed?
    And why does this only happen after a certain time and not from the beginning?

Could it be related to the last firmware update? Apparently it was a mistake to go for the cheapest NAS alternative. Not to mention that administration via the website is almost impossible in this state. Login and accessibility of the NAS is extremely disrupted. Response to PING shows a maximum reachability of 70%. It seems that even the login attempts cause the NAS to crash.

After every short-term login I lose the connection again. I would like to deactivate the services. but I've been trying for more than 60 minutes now. I have the same behavior on all 3 NAS. Yesterday was the defined automatic “restart Friday” (the first Friday after actual firmware-Update!). Maybe it's because of this?

Consumer Product Help Center