Zyxel LTE4506 operating in bridge mode

BarneyBoy
BarneyBoy Posts: 1
First Anniversary
edited January 4 in Mobile Broadband
At the moment I'm operating the LTE4506 in bridge mode. The main router (its wan port is connected via cable to the lan port of the LTE4506) gets the wan ip via DHCP from the LTE4506. The lease time is 7200 seconds, the main router re-news the leased IP every 3600 seconds.

When the LTE4506 disconnects und re-connects, in most cases the ISP assigns a new IP address to the device. The main router gets this new IP address, when it re-news the lease. In the worst case this will be in 3600 seconds. In the meantime the main router uses the old, obsolete IP address and therefore gets no internet access. That's not acceptable.

Is there any work-around for this flaw?

I tried a PPPoE connection to the LTE4506, but the device doesn't respond to the PPP requests.

#SP_Nov_2019

All Replies

• Hikari
    Hikari Posts: 99
    First Comment
    Hi BarneyBoy
    First of all, if you use LTE4506, the IP address is assigned from ISP directly, right? Why the ISP set lease time is 2 hours only?
    And, I am not sure what do you mean by "When the LTE4506 disconnects und re-connects", do you mean you reboot the LTE4506? Then your LAN side router could not receive the new IP. If you click "re-new" on your LAN side router, will the symptom still happen? I mean since LTE4506 is in bridge mode, let LAN side router run DHCP process again will issue still happen?
    I am trying to figure out what action should I take to simular your case, please help to advise it more clear. Thank you! 
  • Hikari
    Hikari Posts: 99
    First Comment
    edited November 2019
    Hi BarneyBoy
    I have discussed your case with my colleague, maybe you mean while in bridge mode,  LTE4506 would not update ISP IP to LAN side client once LTE4506 has re-connected with the mobile network. Per check with our team, once there has WAN network change (for example, WAN IP changed) LTE 4506 will let LAN port down/up to simulate LAN cable unplug/plugin again to trigger LAN side DHCP renew. Thus we have considered this scenario while FW design already. 
    For unknown reasons, we cannot duplicate your issue here, but we have a workaround suggestion. You can shorten the LTE4506 DHCP lease time as 5 min. Then LTE device and LAN client can do DHCP requests more frequently to avoid your symptoms.  

Consumer Product Help Center