Routing and QoS

Options
Sir KiKo
Sir KiKo Posts: 7  Freshman Member
Hello

I have a router VMG3925-B10C, I read the documentation for VMG routers and now I came across a chapter where everything is not completely clear.

Which interface is defined as br0?
In the Add new static route setting, there is the "Use gateway address" option; which GW will be used when this option is disabled?
Which interface is used when selecting "Use interface > Default"?
Is it necessary / recommended to turn on RIP; I use VMG router as a domestic border router for connect to internet.

Is it good to enable QoS and if so, which Upstream Traffic Priority is the recommended one: Ethernet Priority/IP Precedence/Packet Lenght? We use only music (Spotify), video streams and standard internet browsing.

Best regards,
Martin

All Replies

• tonygibbs16
    tonygibbs16 Posts: 842  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Hello @Sir KiKo Martin,

I hope that you are well and have made progress.

I think that in an ordinary domestic situation where the VMG3925-B10C is connected directly to the local telephine network then you do not need to add a static route, because the VMG3925-B10C will be the default gateway for all of the devices on your home (local area) network.

The VMG3925-B10C will then use your Internet Service Provider as its default gateway.

I think that you probably also do not need to use Quality of Service (QoS) controls in a domestic situation, unless something is taking all of your network capacity.

I hope that this is helpful.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year 2021.

Tony

• Tomokane332
    Options

For my upstream traffic priority, I have to choose between packet length, ethernet priority and IP precedence.

Which is the best for online gaming?

• tonygibbs16
    tonygibbs16 Posts: 842  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited June 2023
    Options

Depends on your online game.

If it uses short packets in real-time, then packet length will be good.

But it depends...

Consumer Product Help Center