NAS326 backup corruption good HDDs

2»

All Replies

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,598  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    If you login over ssh, and execute

echo 1 > /firmware/mnt/info/revision

you can downgrade by uploading an old firmwarefile in the webinterface.

• Nickba
    Nickba Posts: 17  Freshman Member
    Thanks, So far tested the version 5.20 and same problem. Now testing 5.11. Could not get any clue with the dmesg so far.
  • Nickba
    More data:
    The Nas326 just crashed during the backup using the 5.11 firmware.
    Dmesg didn't show anything and when the NAS crashes, I cannot access its IP anymore.

So I think it could be a problem that was always present in all versions or it is a hardware problem. If it is a hardware problem, it is present since day 1 as the first backup file had failed the verifying process.
  • lodiabai
    lodiabai Posts: 120  Ally Member
    The firmware you're using is too old.
    You can try to upgrade to the latest one, maybe it would help on your issue.
  • Nickba
    Hi,

Thanks for replying. When I mentioned the 5.11 firmware, I meant I tested all firmwares down to 5.11 version!! So all firmwares versions from the newest V5.21(AAZF.9)C0 down to 5.11 have the same problem!!

• Marck
    Marck Posts: 2
    First Comment
    I have exactly the same problem! NAS326 corrupts large backups or get stuck in the middle(NAS completely hangs). I went further and installed Debian on an USB Flash drive with Open Media Vault and no more corruption. So there is a serious bug in the NAS326 firmware that corrupts large backups. The downside is that with the Debian with OMV the transfer speeds over Samba is slower(maybe Mijzelf could help with ideal Samba tuning settings to get the same transfer speeds as the factory firmware?) .
    The ideal solution would be fixing the Zyxel firmware.

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,598  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    I'm afraid ZyXEL (or actually MitraStar, the OEM) has applied some performance modifications to their implementation of Samba, which also causes the instability. 

• Marck
    Marck Posts: 2
    First Comment
    Mijzelf said:
    I'm afraid ZyXEL (or actually MitraStar, the OEM) has applied some performance modifications to their implementation of Samba, which also causes the instability. 

I think Zyxel should make a warning to all NAS326 users that this product is not reliable. If someone rely on a backup stored on the NAS326, it could be too late to find out that the backup is corrupt when you need to restore it.

Consumer Product Help Center