No internet (for a while) when switching to other AP

PMarcus
PMarcus Posts: 9
First Comment
edited April 2021 in Nebula
WiFi internet works great, if you don't move through the building. When moving around, and getting connected to another AP (all NAP203, over a NSG200 gateway), the internet is gone for a few minutes. What can this be? The WiFi stays connected, but it says No Internet. Reconneting won't help, only waiting.

Comments

• Zyxel_Joslyn
    Zyxel_Joslyn Posts: 360  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Answer First Comment
    edited July 2020
    Hi @PMarcus

There might be two situation if you lost internet access while moving.
    1. The station still connects to the old AP which is far away.
    2. The station will get different IP address or need to authentication again.

For the first one situation, we suggest to enable the "Smart steering" to restrict the connection signal. This will kick the station automatically if its signal is too worse. The default setting is -85 dBm which means the station will be disconnected from the AP once AP detects the signal is lower than -85dBm. This function will help to force the station search for the better signal to connect.

About the second situation, could you help to confirm if you get the same IP address after roaming to another AP? Or do you have to pass the authentication again via another AP? It will cost some time which might cause the internet interrupt.

Hope it helps.
    Joslyn
  • PMarcus
    First Comment
    Hello,

A, now I see it says identifiing for a while, before it connects again, so it looks like there is the problem. What can I do about that?

Hope to hear from you,

Gr. Paul.
    (sorry for the late responce, didn't get a notification of your post)
  • Zyxel_Joslyn
    Hi @PMarcus

We released a date version to improve the connection stability. If you like, I can help you to upgrade the Date firmware from our backend server. Please provide me your org/site name and enable the ZYXEL support for me.

According to your description, you mentioned you have to wait for few minutes to get the internet access. Could you help to confirm for the VLAN setting on the switch? Normally, if the VLAN subnets are different while the station roaming between different APs, the connection might be dropped for few minutes before it comes back. It should relate with the switch VLAN setting and the DHCP setting. 

Joslyn
  • PMarcus
    First Comment
    Hello,

Where can I find the Support Request switch?

Gr. Paul.
  • Zyxel_Joslyn
    Hi @PMarcus

Please go to HELP > Support request > ZYXEL support and provide me your org/site name.

Joslyn
  • PMarcus
    First Comment
    Thanks! Done. Organisation: Van Dam Machine
  • Zyxel_Joslyn
    Hi @PMarcus

Could you provide a station MAC address who loses the internet access after roaming? It will help us to search for the log easier.

Joslyn
  • PMarcus
    First Comment
    All of them with Dell in the name. If you want a specific one, I'm on vacation untill 8 sept, than I can give you one. Please let me know.
  • Do I need to give a MAC address still? 
  • Zyxel_Joslyn
    Hi @PMarcus

If you still have the issue there, you could provide the MAC address and timing for me. I will realize the status from the logs.

Joslyn

Nebula Tips & Tricks