PLA5256: Switch to other (5G) network?

chasfh
chasfh Posts: 3  Freshman Member
edited December 2017 in Smart Home Product
I installed one powerline adapter on my PC, and connected it to my ASUS router. My router hosts two networks: a 2.4G, and a 5G (faster local network throughput). The PC is defaulting to connecting the adapter to my 2.4G network, but I would rather it connect to my 5G network. I looked around but can't figure out how to change that. Can anyone help?  Thank you.

Chuck

#PLA_December

All Replies

• chasfh
    edited December 2017
  • Old_Pop
    Old_Pop Posts: 4  Freshman Member
    I thought PLA5256 only uses Powerline and Ethernet connection. I don't think it uses wireless connection. From my understanding of Powerline, you connect one Powerline adapter to a router, then connect a second Powerline adapter to a device that needs Internet connection in another room. If you're talking about PLA5236 Wi-Fi extender, I think you connect the PLA5256 (regular Powerline adapter without the antenna) to the router, then plug the PLA5236 (the Wi-Fi extender Powerline adapter with antennas) to another location that you need better Wi-Fi signal.
  • chasfh
    edited December 2017
    The 5256 definitely uses only electrical powerline, and the ethernet connection on the receiving machine. But I plug the other powerline into a router that has two networks: a 2.4G, and a 5G. It is defaulting to delivering the signal only from the 2.4G. I'd like to know whether I can get it to port in the signal from the 5G network. Am I making sense? Am I properly communicating what I am trying to do?
  • Piper
    Piper Posts: 3  Freshman Member
    Are you far away from the wireless router? 5G wireless network are usually weaker than 2.4G wireless network. If you created two wireless network names for 2.4 and 5 G networks, you can try forgetting the 2.4G network on your PC and just connect only with the 5G network.

Consumer Product Help Center