Home networking

Options
kirstyc
kirstyc Posts: 2  Freshman Member
edited June 2018 in Smart Home Product
Hi guys

I am trying to set up a bit of an unusual network at home and would like a bit of advice please. Looking to purchase the right product but not sure what that is.

The attached image shows what I am trying to achieve. 

I followed some instructions to try and set up an old wireless router, disabling DHCP to acheive a second router and wireless area but i have tried many things and it doesnt work. 

Basically I need something that will work as an extender to reach the deadspot at my office, fed by a signal from Router 1 by LAN cable... This will go into (device ?) which will then give 2x ethernet ports minimum and a wireless signal for my phone and tablet

I have been looking at the Zyxel 3205v3 but im not sure if it will do the trick. The diagrams suggest that if you feed it a LAN input (AP mode), you can only then connect devices wirelessly (can i not have wifi & extra lan out?). WIreless connection to Router 1 isnt an option, it wont get a signal. 

Many thanks
#Repeater_June

Accepted Solution

• Zyxel_Brian
    Zyxel_Brian Posts: 41  Zyxel Employee
    edited June 2018 Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @kirstyc

WAP3205 v3 has the operation mode for AP, UR and client mode.
    Here is the description for these mode:
    AP mode: WAP3205 v3 connect to router 1 via Ethernet cable, and then provide Internet service with LAN port and Wireless signal, and PC2 and 2 phones can surf Internet directly.

UR mode: WAP3205 v3 connect to Router 1 via wireless only and then provide Internet service with LAN port and Wireless signal, and PC2 and 2 phones can surf Internet directly.

Client mode: WAP3205 v3 connect to Router 1 via wireless only and provide Internet service with LAN port only (no wireless), so only PC2 can surf Internet.

Moreover, UR mode is using 2.4G to connect the uplink to Router 1 and service wireless to client at the same time, so the performance will be affected as half.

The suggestion for you as below:
    1. With Ethernet cable extend from Router 1, then use WAP3205 v3 as AP mode can have the good service for wireless and LAN to your PC2 and wireless clients.
    2. If the uplink can only through wireless with 2.4G, then you have to check how far away between office and house, and is there any barrier between them to effect the signal quality, because if the Router 1's wireless coverage isn't enough to cover extender, then you are not possible to UR mode to service office and surf Internet.

All Replies

• Zyxel_Brian
    Zyxel_Brian Posts: 41  Zyxel Employee
    edited June 2018 Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @kirstyc

WAP3205 v3 has the operation mode for AP, UR and client mode.
    Here is the description for these mode:
    AP mode: WAP3205 v3 connect to router 1 via Ethernet cable, and then provide Internet service with LAN port and Wireless signal, and PC2 and 2 phones can surf Internet directly.

UR mode: WAP3205 v3 connect to Router 1 via wireless only and then provide Internet service with LAN port and Wireless signal, and PC2 and 2 phones can surf Internet directly.

Client mode: WAP3205 v3 connect to Router 1 via wireless only and provide Internet service with LAN port only (no wireless), so only PC2 can surf Internet.

Moreover, UR mode is using 2.4G to connect the uplink to Router 1 and service wireless to client at the same time, so the performance will be affected as half.

The suggestion for you as below:
    1. With Ethernet cable extend from Router 1, then use WAP3205 v3 as AP mode can have the good service for wireless and LAN to your PC2 and wireless clients.
    2. If the uplink can only through wireless with 2.4G, then you have to check how far away between office and house, and is there any barrier between them to effect the signal quality, because if the Router 1's wireless coverage isn't enough to cover extender, then you are not possible to UR mode to service office and surf Internet.
  • kirstyc
    kirstyc Posts: 2  Freshman Member
    Options
    Thanks for your reply. I need AP mode as the device wont be able to receive a wifi signal to feed it. 

Its just the diagrams 
    (on this page) https://www.zyxel.com/uk/en/products_services/wap3205_v3.shtml?t=p#productDetailTab5

for the AP mode only showed devices connecting by wireless which is why I wanted to confirm that I could also connect devices by LAN in this mode before purchasing. 

You have answered that question so many thanks, I will buy one now :)

Kirsty

Consumer Product Help Center