Can I read a raid drive from an NSA320 in an NAS540?

dvbird
dvbird Posts: 5  Freshman Member
First Anniversary
edited June 2018 in Personal Cloud Storage
I have an old NSA320 that had two drives in a raid 1 configuration.  The NSA320 died (currupted firmware).  I used one of the drives as a new volume in the NAS540, thinking I would be able to read the data from second NSA320 drive.  Can I do this?  If so, how?

#NAS_June

Accepted Solution

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,598  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited June 2018 Answer ✓
    Yes you can.
    Enable the ssh daemon and login over ssh.
    Then find the name of the partition:
    cat /proc/partitions
    Assuming it's sdb2, assemble the raidarray:
    <div>su</div><div><br></div><div>mdadm --assemble /dev/md5 /dev/sdb2 --run</div>
    Now you can mount the array:
    <div>mkdir /i-data/olddisk</div><div><br></div><div>mount /dev/md5 /i-data/olddisk</div>
    Don't know if the partition will show up automagically in webinterface/samba, but at least you should now be able to copy the contents from old array to the new one using the command prompt

All Replies

• Wiasouda
    Wiasouda Posts: 156  Master Member
    No, you can't.
    NAS540 and NSA320 were used different file system, you can mount NSA320 drive to Linux and copy out the data, then restore back to NAS540.
  • Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,598  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited June 2018 Answer ✓
    Yes you can.
    Enable the ssh daemon and login over ssh.
    Then find the name of the partition:
    cat /proc/partitions
    Assuming it's sdb2, assemble the raidarray:
    <div>su</div><div><br></div><div>mdadm --assemble /dev/md5 /dev/sdb2 --run</div>
    Now you can mount the array:
    <div>mkdir /i-data/olddisk</div><div><br></div><div>mount /dev/md5 /i-data/olddisk</div>
    Don't know if the partition will show up automagically in webinterface/samba, but at least you should now be able to copy the contents from old array to the new one using the command prompt

Consumer Product Help Center