SFTP on NAS520

Josathome
Josathome Posts: 14  Freshman Member
First Anniversary First Comment
edited August 2019 in Personal Cloud Storage
I have my NAS behind a router w Tomato firmware. I like to be able to copy/open/edit/etc the files on my NAS (in my shares). Over secure connection. 
1) if I enable SSH and FTP on the NAS and connect remotely using e.g. Filezilla, using SFTP option, is this then a secure SFTP connection? 
2) I read that it is better to use (SHA?) keys to remotely connect to the NAS  instead of password. How to do that? Do I need to install extra apps on the NAS?
3) The Tomato firmware on my router allows setting up SFTP and VPN connections. But these are connections to my router, not to the NAS behind it. Can I use this to securely connect to my NAS? As alternative to 1) and 2)?

you may have noticed  it: i am no network expert, so any suggestions are welcome

#NAS_Aug_2019

Best Answers

• Mihawk
    Mihawk Posts: 103  Ally Member
    Answer ✓
    As far as I know, SFTP only allow to use administrator account (admin or root) to login.
    What I did as below:
    1. Enable the services on ZYXEL NAS - FTP and SSH.
    2. Set the port forward rule on router - External Port 2222 <-> Internal Port 22.
    3. Using router's WAN IP + External Port to access ZYXEL NAS from outside via SFTP.

• Mihawk
    Answer ✓
    I found another way to you. I think this would be useful for your family members.
    1. First, you need to download the WebDAV client, I'm using RaiDrive.
    2. Enable the WebDAV services on NAS520.

3. Set the port forward rule on router - External Port 5003 <-> Internal Port 5003. 
    4. To configure router's WAN IP, External Port, NAS Folder Path and User Account on RaiDrive, then you can mount it as network drive on remote computer.

Please make sure the path must be "/webdav/sharedfoldername".

All Replies

• Mihawk
    Can you share what is your purpose?
  • Josathome
    Purpose is to allow my family members to remotely access and manage their data stored on the NAS meaning copy/paste/edit/move etc. “just as windows explorer”...
  • Mihawk
    Answer ✓
    As far as I know, SFTP only allow to use administrator account (admin or root) to login.
    What I did as below:
    1. Enable the services on ZYXEL NAS - FTP and SSH.
    2. Set the port forward rule on router - External Port 2222 <-> Internal Port 22.
    3. Using router's WAN IP + External Port to access ZYXEL NAS from outside via SFTP.

• Mihawk
    Answer ✓
    I found another way to you. I think this would be useful for your family members.
    1. First, you need to download the WebDAV client, I'm using RaiDrive.
    2. Enable the WebDAV services on NAS520.

3. Set the port forward rule on router - External Port 5003 <-> Internal Port 5003. 
    4. To configure router's WAN IP, External Port, NAS Folder Path and User Account on RaiDrive, then you can mount it as network drive on remote computer.

Please make sure the path must be "/webdav/sharedfoldername".
  • Josathome
    Mihawk, thx for the options. I will try both to see how they work for me. Webdav didn’t work well in the past, but I guess I did something wrong. I will therefore include your RaiDrive suggestion 

Consumer Product Help Center