Disk Group / RAID is Degraded on a NAS540- How to fix it?

brw
brw Posts: 8  Freshman Member
edited September 2019 in Personal Cloud Storage
My NAS540 recently started beeping aggressively, prompting me to enter the WebUI. I was able to log on and I got a message that said my RAID was "Degraded", and that I had to enter Storage Manager to repair it.

Entering Storage Manager I see that Disk 1 is being grey, while the remaining 3 shows as active. I then have the option to repair the RAID using DIsk 1, but when I select that and click Repair nothing happens, it just goes back to the initial menu that says my RAID is "Degraded" and prompt me to press Repair.

Now I've gotten a new HDD to replace the faulty one, but how do I go about doing that? And how do I get the RAID repaired?

I have 4x6TB WD RED in RAID5 on a NAS540 with the latest FW.

#NAS_Sep_2019

Comments

• Batou
    Batou Posts: 101  Ally Member
    Plug in a new HDD to replace that faulty one and press Repair.
    Repair process may takes a long time, please wait for finished.
  • brw
    When I enter the repair menu there are two pictures showing the NAS. One has Disk 1 greyed out, and 2-3-4 in orange. If I remove Disk 1 and reboot, it says volume is down. Does this mean MORE than one disk has a problem - or could it be the NAS is showing me the wrong disk as the problem disk?

If I remove Disk 1 and replace it wish a new one and press Repair I can go on to next, next, apply but then it just reverts back to the main Storage menu and there are nowhere I can see that repair has begun. No counter, no statusbar, seemly no nothing.

Any ideas? What should I be looking for after having replaced the disk and pressed Repair?
  • Batou
    Can you share the screenshots?
  • brw
    edited September 2019
     :'( 
  • brw
    edited September 2019

• brw
    edited September 2019
    So this is what I get when I log on the box. When I took these screenshots I didn\t yet touch any of the disks - I just went straight to the repair menu. If I select Disk 1 here and press next, it will eventually send me back to the main menu without any apparent repair-process having being started. Process goes as this:
  • brw
    edited September 2019

So here is where I go when told to go to Storage Manager and REPAIR my Degraded RAID.

As you can see the volume shows up ORANGE or DEGRADED when I look at them.

Similar, the Disk Group shows up ORANGE as well.

The four disks however seem to be in good shape individually - and shows up as GREEN(!)

Going back to Repair-mode I select Repair RAID and press Next.

The degraded volume shows up orange again, and I select Disk 1 to use for repairing it, and I press Next again.

Assumably pressing "Apply" now should let the NAS begin to Repair my RAID.. alas..

I just end back again at this screen, being prompted to click REPAIR again. I've tried doing it a couple of times, retracing the steps above, but it only sends me back here and no repairs are starting.

If I try to reboot the NAS, it comes up beeping, and upon logging on I'm being told the Disk Group is being DEGRADED and to Repair - just like above.

What is wrong here - and how do I fix it? Glad for any help! :-)

• Batou
    Disk 1 is new one?
    On Disk Group, do you able to select Manage after tap Disk Group 1?
  • brw
    No - it's not possible to select Manage. Now I cannot even log into the web UI anymore. :pensive:

And from Zyxel support I've heard nothing.

I've now ordered a Synology box and will be moving my disks promptly. What a piece of f... sh..

Consumer Product Help Center