Nas540 freezing at startup

Whaxnalle
Whaxnalle Posts: 8  Freshman Member
edited January 2020 in Personal Cloud Storage
Hi,
When I tried to start my nas540 the lights for power light up but then it freeze. To shut it down I need to remove power cord. Only power led is lighting up. Not the led for disks. Feels like firmvare problem tried using a USB recovery but it does not start te recovery. Anyone have a suggestion to what to do? 

#NAS_Jan_2020

All Replies

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,598  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Have you tried it without disks?
  • Whaxnalle
    Yes I tried to start without disk same problem. 
  • Mijzelf
    OK, that largely excludes a faulty power supply. My next guess would be a corrupt flash. That might be recoverable, but needs some low-level actions. You'll have to hook up a serial cable (3.3V TTL. An RS232 'PC cable' won't do). Info on the serial port here.

• Whaxnalle
    edited January 2020
    Thanks, that sound good I will try that. Do you have some instruction on how to do that?
    @Mijzelf
  • Mijzelf
    What actually has to be done is not yet clear. You first have to catch a serial bootlog, and see where it ends.

About the access to the serial port I can tell that you have to remove the front and back, and then split the remaining cover on it's seam. I used some (long) table knives to detach the hooks which connect the two halves.
    When you have isolated the motherboard, you have also removed the heatsink of the processor. I can't remember that that gave any problems, but someone else reported the processor became pretty hot. So keep an eye on that.
  • Whaxnalle
    Okay, I will try that. I don't have the cable I need will get one and try. I report back when I have done this. ? 

Consumer Product Help Center