ZyXEL Multy U regularly drops connection

Khalid
Khalid Posts: 4  Freshman Member
edited June 2020 in Multy WiFi System
I have recently bought  Multy U (set of 3) mesh routers.  My setup is Virgin Media Super Hub3 in modem mode, connected to Multy U to provide Wifi/wired networking in a house of on average 30-40 active devices,  ranging from Laptops, smart phones, to NAS and IOTs etc.

We have found that on average (though the frequency is increasing) at least once a day the main Zyxtel hub goes down (crash?), the big X is flashing white instead of steady Blue, and the two satellite boxes have steady red X on them.  The system eventually recovers (3-5 mins) but I think the primary router has crashed and rebooted.  The virgin modem had a steady pink link light so no loss of link on the broadband end.

Before getting these routers I had the Tenda MW3 mesh which worked fine but I changed to Zyxtel because I needed DHCP leasing and better use of my 200Mb link (Tenda cant do more than 100Mb)

Firmware is also the latest on all three

Please can you advise what I can do to resolve this issue.

Regards
Khalid

#Multy_Apr_2020

All Replies

• Zyxel_Eric
    Zyxel_Eric Posts: 279  Zyxel Employee
    First Answer First Comment
    edited April 2020
    Dear Sir,

Multy U will glow white when it is rebooting. If there is an internet drop, it will glow red. 
    In your case, it seems your root Multy U reboot itself. 
    Please try below instructions to verify this issue.
    1. reset the all Multy system, and install other Multy as Root, and set the root one as an extender.
    Will the issue still happened after this set up?
    2. Please send feedback on your Multy App, we would like to check the behavior of the Multy U.

Best Regards,
    Eric 
  • Khalid
    Thanks Eric, I have done the reconfig as directed and will monitor over the next few days.
  • Khalid
    Update: Its has rebooted at least once since the reconfiguration
  • Zyxel_Eric
    edited May 2020
    Which node that has the reboot?
    Is it the one that has a reboot issue before you reset the system?
  • Khalid
    Hi Eric, as per your instructions I had reset all nodes and selected a different node to be the primary one.  The node that rebooted was the new primary one.  
  • Zyxel_Eric
    Dear Sir,

Thanks for your updates.
    Please send feedback from your Multy App, we can analyze your log to clarify this issue.

Best Regards,
    Eric

• Evaj
    Evaj Posts: 1
    Mine does the same, and has done through 2 years.  No solution. Even says " move closer weak signal.  They are max 6 meters apart with 1 wall between. The main  and the bedroom is 2.5 meters apart and still have weak signal. Its bullshit units.  
  • Podo
    Podo Posts: 28  Freshman Member
    IMHO, the best way is to connect multy nodes with ethernet cables to each other. That should overcome disconnecting problems.

You can try following article to create ethernet connection between nodes.
    https://kb.zyxel.com/KB/searchArticle!viewDetail.action?articleOid=017839&lang=EN
  • Zyxel_Can
    Zyxel_Can Posts: 342  Zyxel Employee
    Friend Collector First Answer First Comment

Hi @Evaj,

Can you share some information with us:

1-     Can you share your network topology?

2-     What’s the firmware version of your Multy devices?

Please send detailed feedback using your Multy application for this symptom.
  • turo
    turo Posts: 3
    Hi, 

Just wrote my own question before I noticed this thread. I have the exact the same issue and my second unit is connected via cable. The drop happens several times a day.

Consumer Product Help Center