Slow speed of repeater WRE2205.v.2

Janniss
Janniss Posts: 8  Freshman Member
I have an Arris TG-2492S Cable Operator Router at home and after connecting the Zyxel WRE2205 v.2 as a wireless repeater, my speed drops from 67 / 12Mbps to 1.5 / 0.2Mbps. The ping will also rise from 25-50ms to 500-4150ms. I only built the router on type N but it didn't help. The devices are about 5m apart over one wall. FW I have the last available V1.00 (AANK.5) C0_20171101 (KRACK_hotfix). What else should I try? Is this a normal condition?

Comments

• Greenlight
    Greenlight Posts: 57  Ally Member
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Answer First Comment
    Need more information to clarify this issue...

What's the first LED light(icon is signal level) showing?
    What's your  the Wi-Fi signal level shown on your smartphone?
    How's the LAN port client's (connecting to the WRE) performance?

To clarify if the issue is originate from device itself, I think the simplest way is to mount the WRE right beside your router, and then connect a device to its LAN port and test performance. This way you can make sure if the device is able to build good Wi-Fi connection.

For the other reasons why your devices throughput is bad would be like:
    1. Your smartphone doesn't connect to the WRE, but connects to the Home router behind the wall
    2. There are other wireless signals interfere the traffic (such as mobile network tower, microwave oven....)
    3. Your WRE is mounted back towards the home router, which makes the connection hard to establish and unstable.

There is an APP called "Wi-Fi analyzer", you can download it and scan if the signal from WRE is good and wireless environment is clean.

Hope above information can helps you to clarify what's happening in your house.

• Janniss
    - The WiFi light is OK and lit.
    - The Home Router level on the smartphone is 79dbm and WRE 65dbm
    - I use WiFi Analyzer Premium (ANDR) for measurement
    - WiFi channels are switched by Arris according to signal quality and ambient interference
    - I'm connecting to WRE, it's checked by WiFi Analyzer
    - it's fine via LAN (64 / 16Mbps)
    - via WRE WiFi it is at a distance of 1m 52/10, 3m 40/6, 6m 12/2 and after more than 10m it falls to <2 / 0.5Mbps.
    I suspect an RX / TX module or an internal antenna.
  • Greenlight
    Looks the link between WRE<->Home Router is quite good (since the WRE LAN port speed is good), and wireless devices can have normal speed when it's close to the WRE.
    I don't think it could be a internal antenna hardware issue (since the power can reach -65dBm and wireless service keeps good in short distance). Could you please show the screenshot of your Wi-Fi analyzer? So far I doubt the bad performance is caused by there are lots of Wi-Fi signal existing in your environment. And you can try to fix the WRE sevice in 20 MHz channel, which can decrease the chance to get interfere.
  • Janniss
    I have 20MHz set (I turned off Auto 40/20) right from the start. There are only 2 visible APs in the vicinity on the lower channels 2 and 4. I switched channel 13 to fixed on the router so that I would not have a problem with interference ...
    I'm more worried that the two devices may interfere with each other.
  • Janniss
    The antennas inside seem terribly small to me - and they say they have + 2dB ... barely 4cm each. Today's repeaters have 2-4 antennas with a length of 10-15cm.
  • Janniss
    edited May 2020
    I'm sitting with a phone / analyzer about 1.5m from the router...
  • Janniss
  • Janniss
    This is interesting: I turn on channel 1 and the interference is also on channel 1 within a few seconds, I turn on channel 13 and the situation repeats itself.
  • Janniss
    edited May 2020

Interference on channel 13 (but I'm there alone), otherwise everything O.K. I apologize for the sreens in Czech - I have a localized version
  • Greenlight
    Since both WRE and Home Router are using channel 13, it's for sure two signals will interfere each other(or specifically saying, they share the channel resources).
    I'd say the walls in the house is a main obstacles to wireless signals, and even you enhance the antenna capability, the obstacles still existing. However, what enhanced is "AP's power", not wireless station's power, so it's possible that signals from wireless stations can't reach the AP (blocked by the wall). It's always better choice to set AP/WRE in line-of-sight to those wireless clients.
    If you connecting to WRE in above case, definitely the throughput is bad due to low signal strength(also the interference from Home Router), If you move the device closer to the home router, the device should roam to it and get better signal and performance.

Consumer Product Help Center