How do I find external storage location so I can add media location on Plex?

Options
Gclick
Gclick Posts: 3  Freshman Member
Hello, I am loading some movies onto an external HDD plugged by USB into my NAS326. I installed Plex but can't find the directory for the external HDD storage. I had Plex scan everything by marking the folder as "\" and found the videos but would like to find the actual directory. Thanks for any help!

Accepted Solution

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,613  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    That doesn't make sense. /proc/18705/root is a symlink which points to the rootdirectory for the process with PID 18705. (In Linux not all processes necessarily see the same filesystem tree,  so it has to be stored somewhere.)
    So the 'real' path you are using here is /e-data/, via a long list of symlinks.

/e-data/ is the directory containing the mountpoints of the external disks. (/i-data/ are the internal disks).

You path won't work after a restart, as Plex will run with a different PID.

All Replies

• Gclick
    edited May 2020
    Options
    I figured it out. I clicked on get info on one of the videos in the plex library to see the where it's file location is. Ended up being a long location like 
    /proc/18705/root/proc/18705/root/proc/18705/root/proc/18705/root/proc/18705/root/proc/18705/root/proc/18705/root/proc/18705/root/proc/18705/root/proc/18705/root/proc/18705/root/proc/18705/root/proc/18705/root/proc/18705/root/proc/18705/root/proc/18705/root/proc/18705/root/proc/18705/root/proc/18705/root/e-data/
  • Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,613  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    That doesn't make sense. /proc/18705/root is a symlink which points to the rootdirectory for the process with PID 18705. (In Linux not all processes necessarily see the same filesystem tree,  so it has to be stored somewhere.)
    So the 'real' path you are using here is /e-data/, via a long list of symlinks.

/e-data/ is the directory containing the mountpoints of the external disks. (/i-data/ are the internal disks).

You path won't work after a restart, as Plex will run with a different PID.

• Gclick
    Options
    Thank you @Mijzelf . /e-data/ is the correct directory and confirmed to work on Plex. Much appreciated!

Consumer Product Help Center