VRPT (Vantage Report) no longer runs under fully patched Windows Server 2012R2, can't install either

CoreSG
CoreSG Posts: 40  Freshman Member
First Anniversary Friend Collector First Comment
edited August 2022 in Service & License
I've been using VRPT with some (limited) success in terms of reported info,
on an install of Windows Server 2012R2 (runing as a VM on a Hyper-V host).

As of one of the most recent Microsoft updates, VRPT will not run. The service fails to start.
I uninstalled it and attempted to reinstall it, but that fails with "fail open About.txt" and "Severe. This patch is not available for current version."

Is there an updated installer ? I tried the one provided by Zyxel_Charlie here:
https://businessforum.zyxel.com/discussion/comment/1943#Comment_1943
But the result is the same. I tried manually extracting the components and running Setup.exe (with admin rights of course) to no avail/without success.

Comments

• Zyxel_Charlie
    Zyxel_Charlie Posts: 1,034  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Answer First Comment
    Hello CoreSG,
    It's may something goes wrong when uninstall the old version, can you please check and registry editor on PC, 

1.by use the windows key + r
    2. type regedit and click OK
    3. find the path "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Services\\Vantage Report" and delete the whole entry (please refer below picture)
    4. then install the new version of VRPT

Charlie
    Charlie
  • CoreSG
    edited February 2018
    Hi Charlie, thanks very much !
    I called Zyxel Support in Germany and got routed to the UK (don't mind, wonder how/why that happened), spoke to a support agent who was great but I acknowledged that this product is probably dying on the vine, going away... still, I'd love to get it working once again.

I failed to get a ticket number, but the support agent said he was going to bring this to a coworker as well as someone he knew (of) in the German office.

I got a lot further after taking your suggested step, but still no-go.
    The installer starts to extract contents, but then a new error message pops up, "RegDBGetKeyValueEx failed"

Followed by the error messages already reported above.

Thanks for your help !
  • Zyxel_Charlie
    @CoreSG
    If possible, could I check this case remotely? Please private message the remote details.
    Charlie
  • CoreSG
    HUGE fail on Zyxel's part here. I have not heard from any support agent, nothing. And it's been weeks.

Sigh, seems like every tech company is circling the drain when it comes to support.
  • Zyxel_Charlie
    @CoreSG

Did you mean that you had raised this case to the local support without getting feedback or?? I just sent private message to you to understand further about this case.

Charlie
  • CoreSG
    Hi Charlie. I replied to your PM.
    First, if a ticket was created, I wasn't told the number, and never got any email reply/followup after my call to the UK support office (tried to reach the one in Germany, but my call got automatically routed to the UK).
    Called back and spoke to someone in the Germany, they said they'd get the person who took my first call to get back to me, I got an email after that on the Feb 7th, "your ticket is now assigned to an agent and you´ll receive an answer shortly."
    I heard nothing at all from them, up until Feb. 22, when I replied and asked why this was taking so long even just to get any follow up.

They replied with:
    "After checking the errors with our team in HQ, They have stated the error can be resolved by following the previously suggested repair action and registry edit.

This is the only support action I can suggest, could I please ask you to start with a new clean VM and try the install if you experience the install error edit the registry.
    if you have issues with this process please update the forum post."

It installed fine elsewhere (Server2012R2 for another client at a different site with their own license for Vantage Report), but this is no support at all for the problem: "Go install it somewhere else and good luck, if you get stuck go back to the forum."
    If I could easily destroy the VM with the problem and just reinstall in a clean OS in a new VM (I know full well how to do that), I wouldn't be asking for support to troubleshoot this problem.

Frankly a bit disgusting.

• CoreSG
    edited February 2018
    Just saw your PM Charlie, will respond there. Thanks !
  • CoreSG
    Hi Charlie.

So: I fixed it !

I deleted the parent registry entry,

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Services\\Vantage Report

and then the install completed a-ok.

I was able to add in the USG110 just fine,
    but now VRPT is not showing any statistics for anything after 24 hours.

The Zyxel is setup to log to the VRPT server by IP, and this used to work.

Any ideas ? Thanks so much.

I'm asking you because every time I call US Zyxel support, no-one there seems to know anything at all about Vantage Report.

Cheers,

-- David

• Zyxel_Charlie
    @CoreSG
    Regarding this issue, since I cannot reproduce it on my lab.can you share remote access for checking further? 
    Charlie
  • CoreSG
    Hi Charlie.

Sorry, I'm not getting emails that (when) you have replied to my message here.
    I'm on the East Coast of the US, but would be happy to make/find a time - at your time - from 1 PM (13:00) to 6 PM (18:00) say, if you're in the same time zone as Berlin (for example), on a day that works for us both :-)

What do you tend to use, TeamViewer free maybe

Service & License Help Center