Multy X - Internal FireWall

Sir KiKo
Sir KiKo Posts: 7  Freshman Member
edited June 2020 in Multy WiFi System

Hello
I have a question about the logic of internal FireWall on Multy X.
I have an internal network 192.168.1.0/24 with a ZyXEL VMG3925-B10C as border router (Lan IP 192.168.1.254). I have now bought two AP ZyXEL Multy X; Primary Multy X has WAN IP 192.168.1.253; Lan IP is 192.168.212.1.
From Multy X network (192.168.212.1/24) I can easily access any device on the network 192.168.1.0/24, but from the network 192.168.1.0/24 it is not possible to access any device on the Multy X network (192.168.212.1/24); even does not respond to ping neither Multy X WAN IP (192.168.1.253) from the router VMG3925, to which the primary point is connected.

Is this a feature of the internal Multy X FireWall or it is possible to somehow set access?

Thank you

Martin

#Multy_June_2020

Best Answers

• Zyxel_Eric
    Zyxel_Eric Posts: 279  Zyxel Employee
    First Answer First Comment
    Answer ✓
    Dear Sir,

Multy would not respond to the ping from WAN by default setting.

The device from WAN of Multy cannot access to the devices from LAN of Multy, that is because Multy is in NAT mode. You will have to set a port forwarding rule for your LAN devices, and your WAN device can access LAN device by the port that you set.
    Please access Multy App >> Menu Bar >> Settings >> Port Forwarding

Or you can set your Multy on Bridge Mode, and all your device will in the same Network.
    Multy App >> Menu Bar >> Network Settings

Best Regards,
    Eric
  • Sir KiKo
    Answer ✓
    Hello Eric,
    thank you for your answer.

I know when I switch Multy from NAT (router) mode to bridge mode, some features will be disabled (Parrental conrol, UPnP, DMZ...).

Will be a DHCP Server on Multy disabled or switched to DHCP relay?
    As I read in another forum thread, in bridge mode, the IP for Multys WiFi clients is assigned by DHCP on the Internet router. 
    Which IP will be Multy have - still 192.168.212.x?

Best regards 
    Martin
  • Zyxel_Eric
    edited June 2020 Answer ✓
    Dear Sir,

DHCP server on Multy will disable on Bridge Mode(AP mode), and all the traffic from Multy will pass through to the devices from your VMG3925. All the IP will be assigned by the VMG3925()DHCP server, which is 192.168.1.X.
    You can manage all your devices from VMG3925.

However, if you prefer to manage devices from Multy, NAT mode is the only way to do it. but your WAN devices and LAN devices will not able to communicate with each other. Or, you will have to set a port forwarding rule to certain devices on the Multy.

Best Regards,
    Eric

• JamesL
    JamesL Posts: 38
    First Comment
    Answer ✓
    Hi,
    I have tried that topology.
    I own two Multy X, and I connect them as Modem----Switch====two Multy X on Bridge Mode.
    They work perfectly but do not switch them to NAT mode with the topology. It may cause an error.

All Replies

• Zyxel_Eric
    Answer ✓
    Dear Sir,

Multy would not respond to the ping from WAN by default setting.

The device from WAN of Multy cannot access to the devices from LAN of Multy, that is because Multy is in NAT mode. You will have to set a port forwarding rule for your LAN devices, and your WAN device can access LAN device by the port that you set.
    Please access Multy App >> Menu Bar >> Settings >> Port Forwarding

Or you can set your Multy on Bridge Mode, and all your device will in the same Network.
    Multy App >> Menu Bar >> Network Settings

Best Regards,
    Eric
  • Sir KiKo
    Answer ✓
    Hello Eric,
    thank you for your answer.

I know when I switch Multy from NAT (router) mode to bridge mode, some features will be disabled (Parrental conrol, UPnP, DMZ...).

Will be a DHCP Server on Multy disabled or switched to DHCP relay?
    As I read in another forum thread, in bridge mode, the IP for Multys WiFi clients is assigned by DHCP on the Internet router. 
    Which IP will be Multy have - still 192.168.212.x?

Best regards 
    Martin
  • Zyxel_Eric
    edited June 2020 Answer ✓
    Dear Sir,

DHCP server on Multy will disable on Bridge Mode(AP mode), and all the traffic from Multy will pass through to the devices from your VMG3925. All the IP will be assigned by the VMG3925()DHCP server, which is 192.168.1.X.
    You can manage all your devices from VMG3925.

However, if you prefer to manage devices from Multy, NAT mode is the only way to do it. but your WAN devices and LAN devices will not able to communicate with each other. Or, you will have to set a port forwarding rule to certain devices on the Multy.

Best Regards,
    Eric

• Sir KiKo
    Hello Eric,

Thank you, now everything is clear.

I have one last question about ethernet backhaul. This document (https://support.zyxel.eu/hc/en-us/articles/360013835139-How-to-build-a-Ethernet-backhaul-on-Multy-X-Multy-Plus-and-Multy-mini-) describes the connection combination.

Is it possible when Multy X is in bridge mode to use this connection?
    Internet router (LAN) > switch > WAN port of each Multy X or Multy Mini connected to the switch.

Best regards

Martin
  • JamesL
    JamesL Posts: 38
    First Comment
    Answer ✓
    Hi,
    I have tried that topology.
    I own two Multy X, and I connect them as Modem----Switch====two Multy X on Bridge Mode.
    They work perfectly but do not switch them to NAT mode with the topology. It may cause an error.

Consumer Product Help Center