No net, what have I done wrong? Please help.

Options
DrFingeryaguts
DrFingeryaguts Posts: 4  Freshman Member
Hello, I have a VDSL2 gateway vmg3925-b10c and I need help getting the internet through it.
Ok, I have a Virginmedia router (UK) in modem mode, Lan cable to the WAN on my gateway.

Broadband setting:

Ipoe,
Static ip 10 10 10 100
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Gateway ip 10.10.10.1
Dns server 1 194.168.4.100
Dns server 2 194.168.8.100

I can't get the internet using either Wifi or Lan

Thanks for any help you can give.

All Replies

• Hummel
    Hummel Posts: 212  Master Member
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Comment
    edited October 2020
    Options
    What is your topology?
    Does it look like the following one:
    Internet --- Virginmedia router(LAN) --- (WAN)VMG3925-B10C(LAN/WLAN) --- Clients

• DrFingeryaguts
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Hello, yes that's it.
    Thank you for your help. So what now?
  • Hummel
    edited October 2020
    Options
    @DrFingeryaguts
    Why do you use static IP instead of DHCP on VMG3925? Doesn't your Virginmedia router assign DHCP IP on LAN?
    Is it possible to simplify your topology to remove Virginmedia router?
    It would be easy to understand if you could provide the WAN settings on Virginmedia router and VMG3925.
  • DrFingeryaguts
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Hi, Virginmedia router (which I can't replace) is cable, has 4 lan outputs, wifi, and a phone hotspot service that irradiates us. As we can't turn the hotspot off any other way, it has to be in modem mode.
    Modem mode has 1 lan out put and no more. I'm guessing that modem mode doesn't have DHCP, I'm going on what others have said on youtube.
    There are no settings with the virgin router in modem mode (it's as thick as a brick).

I can't remember seeing wan settings on my vmg3925, all I have done is follow the instructions from a guy that I think, works for zyxel, on youtube. He said go to Broadband, and add the info that I have put in my first comment. 
  • Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,607  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options
    If your modem is in 'modem mode', it's actually a 'vdsl to ethernet' converter, which means your router's WAN is directly connected to your ISP, and the WAN IP address is your public address.

The WAN IP address is either requested by DHCP, or by PPPoE. Static WAN addresses which have to be put in the router are rare, and is certainly not 10.10.10.100. (Well theoretically it can, but the probability is small.)
    I looked at the site of Virgin Media, but I can't even find they are offering VDSL, and therefore certainly not the corresponding network settings. So try to switch your modem back, and search for WAN settings.

• DrFingeryaguts
    Options
    Hello, thank you for your help.
    It looks like youtube videos are leading us down the garden path, and tripping us up half way down. As other info says DHCP is the way.
    I'll give it ago over the weekend.

Cheers. :-)
  • Hummel
    Options
    Can you describe your problem with more detail information?

Consumer Product Help Center