USG-50 Limiting our bandwidth, why?

Eduardo
Eduardo Posts: 2  Freshman Member
First Comment
edited April 2021 in Security
Hello, a few days ago we changed our ISP and currently paying for 300mb. When testing our internet speed behind the firewall we get speed of 150mb, when I bypass the firewall I get speeds up to 300mb. What would be the optimal settings I need to change on the firewall to take advantage and use the bandwidth we are paying for.

Comments

• Zyxel_Cooldia
    Zyxel_Cooldia Posts: 1,426  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Hi @Eduardo

Welcome to Zyxel community!

Your question seems to be related to USG products. 
    I will move your discussion to USG page and you can keep discussion on USG page. 
    Thanks!
  • Zyxel_Cooldia
    Hi @Eduardo,
    As we checked, the throughput is around 225/Mbps on lab testing. There are some factors that influence the throughput testing.
    e.g. USG configuration, testing PC performance, anti-virus, os environment and so on.
    Could you share more information how you do the performance test? speed test server? Iperf? how many sessions you run for throughput test?
  • Eduardo
    Eduardo Posts: 2  Freshman Member
    First Comment
    Hi Thanks for your prompt reply,
    This is what im using to run the internet speed test http://www.speedtest.net/. Like I mentioned when I bypass the USG I get close to the speed we should have, when I connect behind the USG the bandwidth slows down to almost half. Im using the same pc to test this. Im not an expert on networking and some settings on the usg seem a little confusing. Therefore I reach out to this forum to see if someone can suggest me where I should look on the USG or guidance of the proper settings. Our network is simple, there's no port forwarding, there's no bandwidth limitation to any user, there's no filtering. Hope this helps
  • Zyxel_Cooldia
    Hi @Eduardo,
    Did you enable BWM(Bandwidth management), Anti-Virus, IDP, or Content filter ? Can you disable these service and try it again.
    How to check those service on by CLI:
    Router# show firewall status
    Router# show bwm activation
    Router# show anti-virus activation
    Router# show idp signature activation
    Router# show content-filter settings
  • BoudahXL
    BoudahXL Posts: 9  Freshman Member
    First Comment
    I have the exact same problem on a 260mb connection, tested directly connected workstation, then with a Cisco 2811 and a Asus RT-88AC I would get 260mb, but with the USG-40 I get barely 85mb with services on, and with the services desabled I get 150mb...
  • BoudahXL
    First Comment
    Please any input on how to configure your device to reach at least 200mb+ would be appreciated, we purchased the equipment and according to your website it states up to 400mbps without any services. 
  • BoudahXL
    First Comment
    Is there an upgrade path, do we need to purchase another model?
  • Blabababa
    Blabababa Posts: 151  Master Member
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Answer First Comment
    @BoudahXL
    As Zyxel_Cooldia mentioned previously, BWM(Bandwidth management), Anti-Virus, IDP, or Content filter may lower the speed. Did you enable any of them? What if you turn them off? The result the same?
  • BoudahXL
    First Comment
    With everything on I get 85mb/s, with everything off and double checked in CLI using Eduardo's suggested commands I get 180mb/s at the most, still short of 260mb/s which I get with a 2811, workstation or a cheapo Asus router.Is there anything I can do other than returning the device?
  • PeterUK
    PeterUK Posts: 2,655  Guru Member

The USG 40 maybe listed as 400Mb but under given test conditions with TCP and without Anti-Virus, IDP, or Content filter you should get about 200Mb

Security Highlight