ZyXEL LTE7480-M804 Cell ID Lock

zel_uk
zel_uk Posts: 12  Freshman Member
Friend Collector First Answer First Comment
edited January 4 in Mobile Broadband
Hi, I was wondering, if it's possible to lock the LTE7480 to a certain Cell Tower. I know, it's not possible via the basic internet GUI, there's only an option to lock the operational band. It would help me a lot because there are 3 cell towers nearby, but the LTE7480 keeps connecting to only one cell tower which, unfortunately, is older and doesn't have the capacity to serve many devices. The other two cell towers are much better a newer and I would like to connect to them. Is this possible via CLI? 

Thank you in advance. :)

Comments

• zel_uk
    Hello, so I found out that there's a new version of User's guide for LTE series, released on 21st of December. There's a new feature called "Cellular Lock", which is exactly what I need. ? But, unfortunately, I don't have this feature yet. Does anyone know whether it's planned in future FW update, or does anyone have this feature? It would certainly help me a lot! This old cell tower is making me really frustrated because speeds of 2 Mb/s on Download in the evenings isn't really something usable ? ... 

• zel_uk
    Hi, does anyone have information about this feature now? :(( Any help with CID Locking would be appreciated. 
  • tonygibbs16
    tonygibbs16 Posts: 823  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Hello @zel_uk

You could try the Online Firmware Upgrade option to see if you can get later firmware, as I cannot find it online or in the FTP site, see below.

I hope that this is helpful.

Kind regards,
         Tony
  • zel_uk
    Hello Tony, thank you for your answer. :) Unfortunately, my modem does not have the option to upgrade the FW online. :/ 

Lukas Zeman
  • tonygibbs16
    tonygibbs16 Posts: 823  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Hello Lukas @zel_uk

You're welcome.

You might want to fill in the contact form at https://www12.zyxel.com/form/contact_support.shtml?modelName=LTE7480-M804&modelDesc=&productModel=LTE7480-M804 to ask for support directly.

Kind regards,
         Tony
  • zel_uk
    Hi @tonygibbs16

I've already tried that. Unfortunately, they were unable to help me. They said they don't know anything about new FW for my modem, so I guess I will have to wait. :( 

Kind regards,
    Lukas Zeman
  • zel_uk
    Hello everyone, once again,

I finally got an answer from our local Zyxel Support that the Cell Locking feature won't be available for the LTE7480 modem because there's a hardware limitation on the modem itself. That's quite a bummer and I still think it's weird. If that means the newer modems have this feature for less money now and older ones for starting prices don't, I'm quite disappointed. If anyone has this feature on their modem, even on LTE7490, for example, please let me know. I would gladly sell this one and buy a new one because the cell tower is driving me crazy right now. We can't work with 2Mb/s at home :angry:

Kind regards,
    Lukáš Zeman
  • nugge
    nugge Posts: 1
    edited June 2021
    Actually it is possible to lock CELL ID on the 7460/74xx. 

Follow these steps. If you don't know how to use "vi" there are simple guides out there. All you need to do is insert one line. The Zyxel 7460 seems to run a build of realtime linux. 

1. Telnet 192.168.1.1

2. user: admin pass:$YourPassword

3. cd /data/user/mm_conf

4. vi malmanager.cfg

Add PCI = “CELL ID”; to your OP_LOCK_LIST dictionary in the config file like following

OP_LOCK_LIST = (

{

MCC = "";

MNC = "";

PCI = "YOUR CELL ID HERE";

} );

Reboot. You should now be locked to the cell ID you added. 
    I take no responsibility if you brick or set your device on fire.

Consumer Product Help Center