NBG6816 ARMOR Z1 and continuous repetition of MAC addresses and successive malfunction of ARMOR

Mario_A
Mario_A Posts: 7
Friend Collector First Comment
edited March 2021 in Home Router
I own the product in question NBG6816 ARMOR Z1, set as Access Point, and, as protection, in addition to the access password (for the various clients), I set the MAC ADDRESS so that only the devices with that MAC Address can access. Unfortunately, the ARMOR Z1, to its liking, duplicates these MAC ADDRESSES (in the list you can clearly see that in addition to the usual 22 manually entered, 44 (double) appear, and I realize that the ARMOR performs this " duplication ", as the Access Point becomes inaccessible, as it provides IP addresses outside the range set by the Router (also Zyxel), from which the Armor (properly set) should take the IPs. The firmware in use is l last made available (V 1.00 (AAWB.12) C0) and once loaded, I reset everything to factory values ​​and reset the ARMOR Z1 again, which continues, undeterred, to work for short periods, after which it stops, and under my control, I notice this duplication of MAC Address After spending a lot of money on a device like this, I am really tired of the problems it keeps giving me.
Do you have any suggestions?
Thank you in advance

All Replies

• Mario_A
    But none of Zyxel who deigns to answer?
    help me, please, as the machine isn't working properly!

• Hill
    Hill Posts: 156  Master Member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    Hi,

As I know the NBG6816 is end of support.
    Maybe you can consider to change to new device like Armor G1 or Armor G5.

• Mario_A
    But none of Zyxel who deigns to answer?
    help me, please, as the machine isn't working properly!

• Mario_A
    Hill said:
    Hi,

As I know the NBG6816 is end of support.
    Maybe you can consider to change to new device like Armor G1 or Armor G5.

But I don't see why, due to a software malfunction of the ARMOR Z1, I'm forced, after what I paid a lot for that device, to have to change it with another new one, and always from zyxel! If this doesn't work due to a bug in the firmware, it's Zyxel's duty to fix it (If itìs a serious company!)
    And then, given what happened, it will no longer be my intention to purchase another Zyxel device, given the poor performance and assistance !!! it's indecent!

• tonygibbs16
    tonygibbs16 Posts: 823  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Hello @Mario_A

I do not work for Zyxel, so I don't know if the Armor Z1 is end of life or not.

There was new firmware released in early 2020, see ftp://ftp.zyxel.com/ARMOR_Z1_(NBG6816)/firmware/NBG6816_V1.00(AAWB.12)C0_release_note.pdf and ftp://ftp.zyxel.com/ARMOR_Z1_(NBG6816)/firmware/

I cannot see the issue you mention listed in the release notes as being fixed, but maybe this latest firmware might help you.

I hope that this is helpful.

Kind regards,
         Tony
  • tonygibbs16
    edited March 2021
    Hello @Mario_A

Reading your first post again, it seems like you are running the latest firmware released in 2020.

You say that the Armor Z1 is providing IP addresses out of the range of your router.

So have you got the Armor Z1 providing WiFi LAN in front of your router?

Maybe you should disable the DHCP server in the Armor Z1 and let your router be the only DHCP server for your LAN?
          - section 12.4 and Table 38 in the user guide at ftp://ftp.zyxel.com/ARMOR_Z1_(NBG6816)/user_guide/ARMOR%20Z1%20(NBG6816)_1.00.pdf could help you with this.

Kind regards,
        Tony
  • Mario_A
    Hello @Mario_A

I do not work for Zyxel, so I don't know if the Armor Z1 is end of life or not.

There was new firmware released in early 2020, see ftp://ftp.zyxel.com/ARMOR_Z1_(NBG6816)/firmware/NBG6816_V1.00(AAWB.12)C0_release_note.pdf and ftp://ftp.zyxel.com/ARMOR_Z1_(NBG6816)/firmware/

I cannot see the issue you mention listed in the release notes as being fixed, but maybe this latest firmware might help you.

I hope that this is helpful.

Kind regards,
         Tony

Thanks for the kind reply,
    but as I wrote in my first message, I just loaded that firmware (the latest available), and, of course, after loading it, I reset everything to restore the factory data (with the new firmware, however ), just so as not to "carry" me with any data in memory. After that I set the Armor properly, as I have always done, but it, on its own initiative, doubles the mac addresses entered, and when it does (I realize it for this reason), it becomes unusable, as it assigns IP to the peripherals to the outside the range set by the Router and therefore -no connection-.
    I was hoping that in this forum, someone from Zyxel was there to read the comments, but I see that it's just us users and Zyxel is on the run (but the money, he took them, given the exorbitant cost of the ARMOR Z1 compared to similar devices of the competition.......).
    Thanks a lot anyway!

• Mario_A
    Hello @Mario_A

Reading your first post again, it seems like you are running the latest firmware released in 2020.

You say that the Armor Z1 is providing IP addresses out of the range of your router.

So have you got the Armor Z1 providing WiFi LAN in front of your router?

Maybe you should disable the DHCP server in the Armor Z1 and let your router be the only DHCP server for your LAN?
          - section 12.4 and Table 38 in the user guide at ftp://ftp.zyxel.com/ARMOR_Z1_(NBG6816)/user_guide/ARMOR%20Z1%20(NBG6816)_1.00.pdf could help you with this.

Kind regards,
        Tony
    Thanks Tony, always very kind.
    Of course: the Armor is set as an Access point (not a router), and therefore the DHCP server is disabled. It's set up to take the IPs directly from the Router (always Zyxel), and it is connected with the router via CAT 7 cable, therefore an excellent cable.
    I can't understand how, in addition to duplicating MAC addresses, it provides (it, the Armor), the IP addresses that it shouldn't, since it's set up so that only the main router manages all the IP addresses .... .
    Yet it does ... that's why I write: the problem is undoubtedly, in the firmware, but if none of Zyxel makes itself heard, I change device with another brand that, without a doubt, will work!
    Before Armor I had a very trivial TP-LINK that has always worked without giving problems: I switched to Armor only for the greater power and the management of a greater number of connections, but I see that beyond that, it is creating a lot for me of problems ...

• tonygibbs16
    Hello @Mario_A

You are welcome.

As you say, the firmware seems to be behaving strangly.

Do you get better behaviour if you enable DHCP server in the Armor Z1 but use the Static DHCP explained in section 12.5 of the user guide?
         - that maps IP address against MAC address of a client device.

Doing that might help you get the restriction behaviour that you want, whilst also operating.

Unwanted devices might then be given an IP address out of the range of your router and so still denied service, which seems to be the security model that you want.

@Zyxel_Jerry do you want to add to this thread please?

Kind regards,
         Tony
  • Mario_A
    Hello Tony,
    thanks for the kind reply.
    In my Zyxel I don't have the screen indicated in section 12.5 to set the IP addresses to each MAC Address, perhaps probably because my Armor is set as an Access Point and not as a Router, since I don't need the additional LAN ports available after the Armor (also because where it is placed, on a peninsula in the living room, at the top for greater coverage, I could not reach it with any other ethernet cable).
    However, before setting it as an Access Point, I tried to use it as a Router (I had it in another location), enabling the DHCP server and imposing a different IP range than that provided by the principal Router, but also in this case , the problem returned. Someone suggested to me that it may be the NAT of the router, but honestly, I don't know anything about it here, so I can't and don't know how to operate.
    Thank you so much for your precious help, always very kind.
    Good day

Consumer Product Help Center