NSA325 Remote system monitoring?

FragsRock
FragsRock Posts: 9  Freshman Member
First Anniversary First Comment
I'm trying to get some system info from my NSA325,  CPU load, Mem, Temp, Fan speed etc.  ultimately for use with Home Assistant but that's another story.  I have metarepository and Entware-NG installed and all systems are working well for me.

However, all the system monitor add-ons I try seem to come up short somehow,  glances won't find all it's modules, nagios has a kernel issue, netdata has some dependency problem, lm-sensors finds no sensors, snmp - well I don't recall what went wrong with that but you get the picture.

I know the box supplies this data because you can see it in the Web UI but that's not what I'm after. I also appreciate it will be my own lack of linux expertise that is the ultimate issue but if anyone knows an easy way to do this any help would be appreciate even just a pointer in the right direction.

I also appreciate that this 10yo cheap NAS has given all it has to give and all of the software and repo's are getting on a bit for these Kirkwood boxes, so is a better path for extending it's life installing Debian or OpenWRT and running WebMin or similar to add a few more useful features?

Any suggestions appreciated

F.

All Replies

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,598  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    There is a package MuninLite, which is designed to provide data to a Munin monitor. Maybe your Home Assistant can use that?
  • FragsRock
    Mijzelf

thanks for the reply and the suggestion.

I've tried to run Munin and whilst I can make it run and create a local munin-node (and report some system info) but I can't find where the config file is supposed to be so that I can configure the node etc.  I have a similar issue with snmp I can see that some snmp info is present but it does not seem to be using the config file I think it should.

I suspect that I am confused as to where the entware-ng or metarepository installer is putting things and have got my paths and permissions all wrong, any light any one could shed on this would be most helpfull

Thanks
    F
  • Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,598  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    If you don't know if your config files are at the right place, you can use strace to see which files are actually read.
    MuninLite doesn't have a config file. It just exports everything it knows of.
  • FragsRock
    Mijelf

thanks for the pointers, I couldn't make munin-lite work for my application here but I managed to bodge together some python code for a similar project on a raspberry pi and add in the code for the fan and temp sensors from your munin package to get me a python script that sends info over mqtt quite nicely.

My next challenge is to make it run on boot.

I'm learning, slowly.

F

Consumer Product Help Center