VLAN configuration GS1920-24v2 and Nebula NCC

Options
Saevik
Saevik Posts: 6
Friend Collector
edited November 2023 in Nebula
I'm new to Zyxel Nebula and trying to configure VLAN, but is confused by the information in the User's Guide. My Web Configurator don't show the Swich Setup menu, where I should select port-based or 802.1Q. Is this related to the Nebula NCC cloud management solution/mode? 

All Replies

• Zyxel_Melen
    Zyxel_Melen Posts: 1,639  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options
    Hi @Saevik,

Welcome to Zyxel community!

Please go to switch > switch ports to choose which port you want to set.

Then click configuration,

And you will see the screen like below. You can set VLAN type, PVID and allow VLANs.

Hope it helps.

Zyxel Melen

• Saevik
    Friend Collector
    Options
    Thanks Melen, but it seams that I have to do more homework regarding VLAN and routing as well. I don't have a Nebula NSG or a router with VLAN support and I now understand this is needed.

The cloud mode seams to take away a lot of stand-alone mode options. I will consider to reset the switch to stand-alone mode to explore the VLAN options in the local web configurator. It seams like the VLAN options in Nebula/cloud mode is less than in stand-alone mode. 

If I select stand-alone mode I will find a lot more guides to help with my configuration. In cloud mode it's not much to find. 
  • Saevik
    Friend Collector
    Options
    Thanks Melen, but it seams that I have to do more homework regarding VLAN and routing as well. I don't have a Nebula NSG or a router with VLAN support and I now understand this is needed.

The cloud mode seams to take away a lot of stand-alone mode options. I will consider to reset the switch to stand-alone mode to explore the VLAN options in the local web configurator. It seams like the VLAN options in Nebula/cloud mode is less than in stand-alone mode. 

If I select stand-alone mode I will find a lot more guides to help with my configuration. In cloud mode it's not much to find. 
  • Zyxel_Albert
    Zyxel_Albert Posts: 36  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Comment
    Options
    @Saevik,
    Actually, using cloud mode is much easier than you think.
    Select trunk for the port connecting to other network device, such as gateway, access point, another switch...etc.
    Select access for the port connecting to end device, such as PC, IP phone, IPTV, IP camera, printer...etc. The system will do the rest for you automatically.  
  • Saevik
    Friend Collector
    Options
    @Zyxel_Albert,
    Thanks. Are there any documentation/guides on this topic? VLAN setup in cloud mode. My router without VLAN support is connected to Port 1 (Internet/Uplink) - Trunk port with 'PVID 1', Allowed VLANs: 'all'. I want a port with VLAN2 to connect a guest Wireless AP and to get only Internet to this port. Is this possible in cloud mode?  
  • TomorrowOcean
    TomorrowOcean Posts: 59  Ally Member
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Answer First Comment
    Options
    It sounds strange to create VLAN2 on Switch but there is no VLAN2 interface on your router...how your VLAN2 wireless clients get DHCP IP?🤔
  • Zyxel_Albert
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Hi @Saevik,
    Normally you can't configure multiple VLANs on switch if your router doesn't support VLAN. The client under VLAN 2 will not get DHCP IP and not able to access internet. 
    Here is a workaround. Keep your port 1 setting and connect another port, for example port 2, to your router. Set port 2  as Trunk port with 'PVID 2', allowed VLAN 2.  Set the port connects to guest Wireless AP as Trunk port.
    Please note that, since your router doesn't support VLAN, traffic could be forwarded cross VLANs by your router. You should find a way to isolate traffic from different LAN port on your router.
  • Saevik
    Friend Collector
    Options
    @Zyxel_Albert,
    Thanks. I'm learning, and I understand this is not at all the normal topology. Do you mean two cables from my router? One to port 1 and one to port 2.

"Example 3" in this guide it's what I'm aiming at:  https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/archives/lanwan/lanwan-howto/32486-how-to-segment-a-small-lan-using-tagged-vlans?start=1

I beleve I may need to go for stand-alone mode to do it this way?
  • Zyxel_Albert
    Options
    Hi @Saevik,
    Yes, my suggestion is to connect two cables from your router to switch.

The link you posted is not an official answer. By doing that way all the traffic from internet will flood to both PC1 and PC2. It is not real segregated. It's highly not recommended.
  • Saevik
    Friend Collector
    Options
    @Zyxel_Albert,
    Ok. Thanks again. This is for my real small home network, and it's not so important to follow all the rules I believe. But I will try to understand what you are meaning with this flood of Internet to both VLANs. My first thought was - Yes! that's what I'm after. Internet to both VLANs. Is this bad for safety, the amount of traffic or for both? If this is real bad even for a small home network, I will consider a Zyxel Nebula NSG. I have just ordered a Zyxel Nebula NAP102 and hopefully this will play together without to much time spent on configuration. 

Nebula Tips & Tricks