LTE7480-M804, latest firmware caused internet access problems when connected by Wifi

PuG
PuG Posts: 5
edited January 4 in Mobile Broadband
Good morning, yesterday I updated the firmware from 1.00(ABRA.0)C0, to the latest: 1.00(ABRA.1)C0. Since then wireless devices can connect and work over the local area network, but have no internet access, for example our mobile phones.

We have done a full factory reset, and obviously have tried reconnecting the phones. As mentioned above they connect without a problem but do not have internet.

The wifi printer works fine locally.

What seems lunacy is the older firmware are not available to back date! previously it had been working fine. 

Any advice.

Regards, James

All Replies

• PuG
    I see Zyxel has leaped into action over there 350 quid router. Without Wifi internet access since Friday, there support team decided to contact me in French and still have offered no useful help - apart from suggesting what I'e already done! resetting to factor defaults. ...
  • PuG
    The support team replied today and helped me back date firmware. So it solved the problem immediately. Must be a configuration problem with the latest. Thanks!
  • AndiZ
    AndiZ Posts: 2
    I have the same problem.😜

How can you go back to an older Firmware? By Telnet?

Thanks for your reply.

Andi
  • PuG
    Hi Andi, if you contact there support they should be able to email the older .bin file to back date. This was there drop box link if its still active:

According to the development team (having spoken by email to support staff) they have purposely prevented internet access by Wifi, and that it only worked in the older firmware by mistake. They claim Wifi is only for configuration!!! which is ridicules, due to being a "potential security risk" as an outdoor router.

Considering I bought it being and out door wifi router I'm somewhat pissed off.  Miss-sold..

Cheers, James

• tonygibbs16
    tonygibbs16 Posts: 825  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited April 2021
    Hello @PuG James

That does seem odd, because the user guide at ftp://ftp.zyxel.com/LTE7480-M804/user_guide/LTE7480-M804_1.00.pdf in section 4.3 says that "...the Zyxel Device is an access point (AP), and the notebook is a WiFi client. The WiFi client can access the Internet through the AP."

I believe what you say that you were told by Zyxel Support, so something is wrong in the user guide or the firmware.

I don't work for Zyxel.

Kind regards,
         Tony

• PuG
    Thank you for the reply Tony.

The question is what is the best course of action - as far as I'm concerned your going to get users like myself sticking with the older firmware which to me would be more of a cause for concern on any potential bugs or security risk.

I feel lead up the garden path (I bought it through Amazon), so do I complain to Zyxel and try and get the unit returned? They mention in the quote below using the "LTE Ally" App but that won't happen.

Direct quote from the email:

I got this response from our R&D this morning: 
    The WiFi interface is used for local management only, users cannot access the Internet through WiFi.
    More specifically, it is designed for the first installation together with the app "LTE Ally".
    The reason that WiFi interface is only for local management is because the NR7101 is generally installed outdoor; for fear of any unintended uses by unknown nearby users, hence the design.
    The design can also be seen in the LTE7480, the LTE7490.

Cheers, James

• tonygibbs16
    tonygibbs16 Posts: 825  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Thanks James @PuG.

That is very interesting. 

Another user on this forum is using his LTE7490 in Cellular IP Passthrough mode as a WiFi Access Point, and has got it working in 2021.

@Zyxel_Jerry it seems that this should be working according to the user guide.

Kind regards, Tony
  • AndiZ
    AndiZ Posts: 2
    PuG said:
    Hi Andi, if you contact there support they should be able to email the older .bin file to back date. This was there drop box link if its still active:

According to the development team (having spoken by email to support staff) they have purposely prevented internet access by Wifi, and that it only worked in the older firmware by mistake. They claim Wifi is only for configuration!!! which is ridicules, due to being a "potential security risk" as an outdoor router.

Considering I bought it being and out door wifi router I'm somewhat pissed off.  Miss-sold..

Cheers, James

Hi James

Thank you for your reply. 
    I got the same reply from Zyxel as you.😡
    They have to change their specs or to implement WiFi at next Firmware release.

But for the moment WiFi is working.

Thank you! Andi

PuG said:

Cheers, James

Consumer Product Help Center