NR7101 not able to connect to APN public.telenor.se

Bamse
Bamse Posts: 5
First Anniversary
edited January 4 in Mobile Broadband
For an unknown reason I cannot seem to get the NR7101 to connect using the APN public.telenor.se. I tried on another mobile router from TP-Link, and to make that router connect using said APN I had to specify APN as "dynamic". How can I achieve this using the NR7101. Works just fine using automatic APN, but then I do not get a public IP address but end up NATed.

All Replies

• tonygibbs16
    tonygibbs16 Posts: 836  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited June 2021
    Hello @Bamse

When you say you are getting NAT-ed, is this because you are getting given a private IP address by telenor, such a class A 10.x.y.z address for example?

It could be that telenor run their mobile cellular network using private IP addresses and don't use public IP addresses until they have to go on to the Internet...

Or you might need to set-up Cellular Passthrough...

I found a NR7101 user guide online (user guide at the bottom of the linked support.zyxel.eu page) as well as how to set-up Cellular Passthrough instructions at https://support.zyxel.eu/hc/en-us/articles/360021412820-How-to-set-NR7101-to-bridge-mode-cellular-IP-passthrough-

The Zyxel setup video on YouTube for the NR7101 might also be useful at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZxh0-vYyRE

Kind regards,
         Tony
  • Bob_C
    Bob_C Posts: 166  Zyxel Employee
    Hi Bamse, 

I'm not familiar with TP-Link's design.
    For the NR7101, if the APN "public.telenor.se" will provide a public IP address, you have to set the APN to "public.telenor.se" using APN manual mode. 
    Also, specify the username and password if the APN requires both information. 

Otherwise the NR7101 uses another APN which only serves private IP address. 

Regards, 

Bob 
  • Bamse
    First Anniversary
    Thank you Tony and Rob for the suggestions.

Cellular Passthrough was set up as well as the manual APN. I have also tried with a new firmware that I received from Zyxel.

What is really weird is that after each test I cannot get a functional connection using the auto APN. It connects to the 4G network ok, but when trying to reach a host on the Internet the connection is not functional and all I get is "Unknown Host or Unreachable Network!". Takes a factory reset to bring the connection back.

• tonygibbs16
    tonygibbs16 Posts: 836  Guru Member
    edited June 2021
    Hello @Bamse

You are welcome.

The issues you are seeing with "Unknown Host or Unreachable Network" might be related to whether you can see a DNS server or not.

You could try on the Network Setting->Home Network->LAN setup screen to have a DNS set to Static and then try the Google Public DNS servers of 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 IPv4 addresses.
        - see section 8.2 of the user manual, and figure 58 and table 32.

You also need to set the IPv6 DNS server information if you use IPv6 on your LAN under IPv6 DNS Server 1-3 and DNS Query Scenario.
        - maybe set these to User Defined and IPv4/IPv6 DNS Server.

The Google Public DNS server addresses are as follows: from https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using

"Google Public DNS IP addresses

The Google Public DNS IP addresses (IPv4) are as follows:

The Google Public DNS IPv6 addresses are as follows:

• 2001:4860:4860::8888
    • 2001:4860:4860::8844

You can use either address as your primary or secondary DNS server."

I hope that this is helpful.

Kind regards,
        Tony

• Bamse
    First Anniversary
    Thanks again Tony,

With the APN public.telenor.se I do not even get a connection to the 4G service, which means that DNS settings will not help. They might be an alternative to the factory reset I have to do each time I test as the Auto APN will allow me to connect to the 4G service but will not provide internet access.

Will test it while I test again to do some screenshots for the Zyxel technicians.

Take care,
    /Bamse

Consumer Product Help Center