Setup question

Options
IvoxEngineer
IvoxEngineer Posts: 6
First Anniversary
edited August 2021 in Nebula
Hi, forgive me if this may come across as a lack of knowledge.

I have a 3 Aps on Nebula CC which are connected via a unmanaged switch to a standard VMG 3295 router. 

I want one of the AP's to be on it's own VLAN whilst the other two are in a separate mesh network. 

When I create the interface groups on the router, and set up a VLan group the AP's don't take these on. 

Is this possible or am making it complicated?

All Replies

• Zyxel_Richard
    Zyxel_Richard Posts: 218  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options
    Hi,

There might have simpler way to achieve you requirement, so I'd like to clarify your needs first, so that I can give you a more precise recommendation.

Could you please share with us more information about why you'd like to setup your environment in that way?

Besides, could you please explain more about the sentence below: 
    [one of the APs to be on it's own VLAN whilst the other two are in a separate mesh network]
    > Do you mean that one of the three APs needs to broadcast the different VLAN SSID, or it should stay in different VLAN Subnet with other two APs?

Best Regards,
    Richard

• IvoxEngineer
    Options
    HI Richard,

The client in this case is spread across 3 floors, the basement and the 1st which they want a mesh Wireless network and then the 2nd floor which they require a wireless network that is completely segregated from the former on a different subnet.

Yes that's correct, to broadcast a different VLAN SSID that is independent of the VLan subnet of the other two AP's.

• Zyxel_Richard
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Hi, @IvoxEngineer

1. To establish a Mesh network, there is no additional setting required , just simply boot up the AP in the give place, the one without Ethernet Cable will automatically establish the connection with the root AP. (Make sure all APs have been registered on the Nebula, and root AP has Internet connection)

2. And to let different AP broadcasting different SSID, you can use a function called SSID tag. Within several steps, you can let SSID broadcast on give AP with VLAN tag you've set.

Step1, you can edit AP's configuration under each AP's detail page on nebula, in the column "Tags" you can assign one or more dedicate tags on each AP (For your case, you can assign a unique tag for Each AP with their floow)

Step2, go to the SSID Overview Page, and then you can set the SSID to be broadcast on the dedicated AP. So you can set basement/floor1 tag on one SSID, and floor2 tag on the other SSID.

Step3. If you want to further setup the VLAN of the SSID, simply press the edit on the previous page, and then you can assign the VLAN ID in the next page.

Best Regards,
    Richard

• IvoxEngineer
    IvoxEngineer Posts: 6
    First Anniversary
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Thanks Richard, I've done the above, but the IP address for the AP on the floor I want segregated is still on the same subnet as the other two. On the Zyxel router I've created another interface group and Vlan 10. I'm not sure as to why it's not taking the new subnet on Vlan 10
  • IvoxEngineer
    Options
    attached
  • Zyxel_Richard
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Hi @IvoxEngineer

To let AP get IP address in VLAN, just simply access the AP's detail page, and edit its LAN IP, type in the VLAN you'd like to assign and select "tagged", and then press OK. AP will then use the configured VLAN to ask for the IP address.

(Please first provide Ethernet to the repeater AP, and then modify its IP address. Once complete, then deploy it in the give location.)

From your previous statement, I think only the "Wireless" Network is needed to be separated into different VLAN Subnets. Meanwhile we can still use the same Interface to manage those APs.
    (This means, only wireless user like smartphone will be assigned to other VLANs when the connected to the SSID)

Besides, I personally wonder why you'd like to use different VLAN to manage APs? Because usually we only need to avoid wireless user to access the Management VLAN, so the VLAN settings are required to be set on the SSID, not on AP's part.

Best Regards,
    Richard
  • IvoxEngineer
    Options
    HI Richard,

I completely get it now! Sorry I confused myself thinking that I would need to vlan AP in order for the clients connecting to it to be on that specific subnet, but it's the clients that connect to that SSID that will take on the VLAN set.

Though I'm intrigued as to why I still cannot set the AP with a different subnet address as per the attached, but that's not important. 

Thank you. 

• Zyxel_Richard
    Options
    @IvoxEngineer Thanks for your feedback!

The reason why you see that notification is because the AP fails to get the IP address from that VLAN. So please go to check the items below:

1. Check your VLAN Settings on VMG is correct.

2. If there's other switch between APs and VMG, (if they're not the unmanaged switch), please make sure the correct VLAN settings on it.

Best Regards,
    Richard

• SEJ
    SEJ Posts: 111  Ally Member
    Options
    @IvoxEngineer 
    If the setting on the APs are all correct, you can check if the packets in/out the VMG3925' LAN port have correct VLAN tag or not?

Nebula Tips & Tricks