Port forwarding by MAC for Armor G1 and G5

PeterUK
PeterUK Posts: 2,655  Guru Member
First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
edited August 2021 in Consumer Idea

So I was thinking of another way to do Port forwarding and the fact that in Armor G1 and G5 you can't enter a IP for Port forwarding. So why not do it by MAC plus the Port forwarding rule by MAC works even if the LAN IP of the device changes.

https://us.v-cdn.net/6029482/uploads/editor/uy/f38ervoht236.png

1 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• tonygibbs16
    tonygibbs16 Posts: 825  Guru Member
    Hello @PeterUK

I hope that you are well.

I don't understand the need for this function (maybe my issue) but would not the NAT table with an overload NAT/PAT have the necessary information to know that port 3389 in your figure would be associated with 192.168.0.2 ?

Yes a MAC table lookup is needed in order to find the MAC address of the next hop at layer 2, because that would be destination address in the Ethernet datagrams.

Thoughts?

Kind regards,
         Tony
  • PeterUK
    PeterUK Posts: 2,655  Guru Member

With the G1 and G5 you can't Port forwarding to a IP only a drop down box with a list of device

https://community.zyxel.com/en/discussion/11263/port-forwarding-but-own-ip-device-not-shown-zyxel-armor-g5-ax6000-nbg7815#latest

So why not do Port forwarding by MAC option? No other router has done this and its in a way better then by IP, say a client get a IP by DHCP with 192.168.0.4 when the router reboots the same client may get IP 192.168.0.7 which the port forwarding by IP don't match but by MAC it will always port forwarding to the client no matter what IP it gets.

Or we could just ask for the G1 and G5 with User Defined IP for port-forwarding.

• tonygibbs16
    tonygibbs16 Posts: 825  Guru Member
    Hello @PeterUK

I like your idea of User Defined IP for port forwarding, which sound like Static NAT.

Kind regards,
        Tony

Consumer Product Help Center