Wi-Fi device log

We have a couple of sites with several ZyXel access points that I manage through the Nebula cloud. I would like to know if it is possible (with the paid version) to schedule a log of devices connected to the Wi-Fi? I know that several companies offer Wi-Fi analytics software, I just need a regular log that has date, time, MAC address/device name and the access point the device was connected to. Or, even better the AP probe request data. Is this something that can be done using the Nebula platform?

All Replies

• Greenlight
    Greenlight Posts: 57  Ally Member
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Answer First Comment
    Is the function "Event Logs" what you need? [Directory: Access Point > Monitor > Event Log]

Where you can see all the records of device login, time, and related information.
    But I think the Probe Information isn't included there.
  • Zyxel_Silvia
    Zyxel_Silvia Posts: 77  Zyxel Employee
    Friend Collector First Answer

Hi @Jules ,

The information you want can be checked in event logs (Access point>Monitor>Event log) and clients.(Site-wide>Monitor>Clients)

In client page, you can get the information of status, AP, SSID, MAC address, IP and association time.

Hope the above information meet your needs and if you have further questions, please feel free to contract us.

Thank you.

Silvia

• mMontana
    mMontana Posts: 1,298  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    @Zyxel_Silvia some Zyxel Firewalls and routers send email messages with log. Also AP can arrange that?
    Or only a syslog server (as receiver) is possible?
  • Thanks for the suggestion, but I was looking for something that would keep a log of this data that includes which access point devices connected to, including date and time in a format like here [Site-wide>monitor>clients].
    Ideally, it would gather the information of when a device connects and disconnects and save this for a few days
  • Jules said:
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I was looking for something that would keep a log of this data that includes which access point devices connected to, including date and time in a format like here [Site-wide>monitor>clients].
    Ideally, it would gather the information of when a device connects and disconnects and save this for a few days
    I forgot to click 'post' when I wrote this earlier and then saw the other comments afterward 🙄.

I think it would be really useful if there was a way to easily keep these logs (especially if they could include the AP probe requests) as they can be used to gather footfall information for places like retail venues, etc.

I personally was hoping to utilise this data for Health and Safety reports. For example
    when locking premises, we could check the log to see if everyone has left (I know this relies on everyone having a Wi-Fi enabled device, but I guarantee that the chances of a staff member still being in the building and not having their phone are very, very low).
  • Zyxel_Silvia
    edited September 2021

Hi @Jules ,

We have summary report in Access point>Monitor>Summary report,

And you can find there is a button of Email report.

Please give it a try and if this function can’t meet your need,

I can help you to proposal in feature requests. (ex.: As your mentioned, AP probe requests)

Thank you for sharing your usage scenario.

Silvia

• Jules
    Jules Posts: 6
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Comment
    edited September 2021

Thanks Silvia. Unfortunately, the summary report doesn't list a log of which devices are connected.
    The ideal log would show the devices connected most recently, the MAC address, description, time connected, duration, time disconnected in .csv (or .xlsx) format. I think this information (especially if it included AP probe requests) would be very useful in an emergency situation. This data could be used to determine if anyone could be still in a building.

Jules.
  • Zyxel_Silvia

Hi @Jules,

As you mentioned,

The ideal log would show the devices connected most recently, the MAC address, description, time connected, duration, time disconnected in .csv (or .xlsx) format,

and AP probe requests, I do proposal in feature request.

Thank you for sharing your application and any ideas is welcome.

Silvia

Nebula Tips & Tricks