Network of 10 NWA1123-AC PRO's is randomly disconnecting users

support_rcor
support_rcor Posts: 16  Freshman Member
First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector
We have implemented a network of 9 NWA1123-AC PRO AP's with 2 GS1920-24HP POE switches across a 2 story building to cover 40-60 devices.  We are using a single SSID and kept most of, if not all of, the default Nebula settings.  However, we are getting multiple reports daily of intermittent disconnections.  I had the misfortune of seeing it first hand myself today while onboarding 2 new laptops.  I had them sitting side by side on the table and one of the laptops completely dropped the Wi-Fi network while the other continued to work without incident.  I waited about 2 minutes and the Wi-Fi eventually reconnected.  It occurred a 2nd time and I was able to force a reconnect by toggling the laptop Wi-Fi off and back on.

For me, this is not a major issue, but our client is a medical facility and the doctors/providers are growing impatient with our efforts to resolve the issue.  Their biggest complaint is that they will be connected to EPIC (EHR) and when it disconnects, it forces them to log out and log back in, losing any notes that they have entered.  I know, Save and Save often, but it's tough to convey that to the providers while they are meeting with patients.  

We have tried replacing one of the AP's, only to find out that the issues are across all the AP's.  Replaced the cabling in that same situation.  All but one AP is running v6.20(ABHD.0).  The new replacement AP is full up to date and the problem is continuing on that AP as well.  Please, can anyone provide us with some help?
Brad C.

All Replies

• mMontana
    mMontana Posts: 1,298  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Their biggest complaint is that they will be connected to EPIC (EHR) and when it disconnects, it forces them to log out and log back in, losing any notes that they have entered.

I'm... sorry and confused about this arrangement. I mean. Entering medical data, over a wireless connection?
    I'm expecting a encrypted protected wireless connection between the device and the AP, and also a encryption of the connection between client and server but... still leaves more failures than pleasant for this kind of solution. I know, Wireless is cool and lightweight, but it's still wireless, so less reliable than ethernet cable.

Anyway...

Someone had similar issue on a similar AP (not the same one).

The network is "new" or it aged a bit (2-3 years?)
    These issues when raised? Few weeks/1 month ago?

Am i wrong assuming that Nebula is your current way of manage switches and APs?
    Is there other wireless networks nearby?
    Are the APs setup for automated channel change?
    Is any kind of roaming policies?
    Devices that are giving problems are in the same place? There could be any correlation about EMI emitted by other devices?
    Is your network 2.4 GHz only or also 5GHz?
    Are you aware if the devices are connected to 2.4GHz or 5GHz?
    Can you correlate the disconnection of one device with entry logs?

• Greenlight
    Greenlight Posts: 57  Ally Member
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Answer First Comment
    One possibility is, laptops connect to different APs with different signal strength, and got kicked out due to low signal strength.

You can try to disable the "Smart Steering" function under the [Access Point > Configuration > Radio Setting]
  • Zyxel_Silvia
    Zyxel_Silvia Posts: 77  Zyxel Employee
    Friend Collector First Answer

Hi @support_rcor ,

The symptom you described is quite like smart steering,

You may check the event log and find the deauth reason.

If you want us to check your setting, please enable Zyxel Support

(find the help icon >>support request>>Invite Zyxel support as administrator and save,

please reply us your org and site name. (through message is ok.)

Thank you

Silvia

• support_rcor
    edited October 2021
    mMontana said:
    Their biggest complaint is that they will be connected to EPIC (EHR) and when it disconnects, it forces them to log out and log back in, losing any notes that they have entered.

I'm... sorry and confused about this arrangement. I mean. Entering medical data, over a wireless connection?
    I'm expecting a encrypted protected wireless connection between the device and the AP, and also a encryption of the connection between client and server but... still leaves more failures than pleasant for this kind of solution. I know, Wireless is cool and lightweight, but it's still wireless, so less reliable than ethernet cable.

Anyway...

Someone had similar issue on a similar AP (not the same one).

The network is "new" or it aged a bit (2-3 years?)
    These issues when raised? Few weeks/1 month ago?

Am i wrong assuming that Nebula is your current way of manage switches and APs?
    Is there other wireless networks nearby?
    Are the APs setup for automated channel change?
    Is any kind of roaming policies?
    Devices that are giving problems are in the same place? There could be any correlation about EMI emitted by other devices?
    Is your network 2.4 GHz only or also 5GHz?
    Are you aware if the devices are connected to 2.4GHz or 5GHz?
    Can you correlate the disconnection of one device with entry logs?

Not looking to get into a debate on the ethical and practical choices to use a wireless network at a medical facility, suffice to say that the we have taken the required measures needed by the partnering hospital to meet/exceed HIPPA Compliance.  Their IT department was militant, as they should be, in making sure our set up was meeting their requirements. I agree that ethernet direct connection would be ideal and preferred.  But the argument of wireless communication can be argued against with RF or Bluetooth wireless keyboards, Bluetooth headsets for dictation, etc... at some point you have to allow some latitude for modern convenience.  Trust me I would prefer a wired only solution, as this type issue would not be an issue but it is what it is.

To answer your questions:

Network is new 2 months old.  (New cable drops and New hardware)

Issue has been present since the new network was implemented two months ago.  Users have started reporting it more often as they discover that it isn't just a "growing pain" and as they communicate with each other more about it, relaying that they are not alone in the dropping connection.

We've used Nebula at a number of other clients without incident but this is the first time using the NWA1123-AC PRO.

There is an aged Ubiquiti network that is present for guest network access.  This is a completely independent network and measures have been taken to isolate the channels.

DCS is enabled on the APs with client aware option enabled.

Roaming: Not sure what you are asking about here?  If you are asking if Smart Mesh is enabled, it is not.  If you are asking if Load balancing is enabled, then the answer is both, with and without have been tried with no positive results.

At first we thought it was related to a location in the building, but it turns out that the users in that area are just more vocal and quicker to report it.  We focused on that area and replaced the hardware and tried moving the AP closer to the the users by about 20ft (6 meters).  After witnessing the problem occur in a different part of the building we asked the rest of the staff and 40% responded that they have experienced the same thing just not said anything about it.

2.4GHz v 5GHz - Using concurrent operation (both)

Most devices are connecting via 5 GHz.  All the reported issues so far have been 5GHz to the best of my knowledge.  The only 2.4GHz devices have been triage tablets so they may be disconnecting as well but they are used for roughly 5 minutes at a time then returned to a charging station so I can't be 100% on that.

I'll have to get back to you on the logs.

Thanks for the response,

Brad
  • support_rcor
    One possibility is, laptops connect to different APs with different signal strength, and got kicked out due to low signal strength.

You can try to disable the "Smart Steering" function under the [Access Point > Configuration > Radio Setting]
    Unfortunately, That setting is already disabled but thank you for responding.  Truly appreciate it. 
  • support_rcor

Hi @support_rcor ,

The symptom you described is quite like smart steering,

You may check the event log and find the deauth reason.

If you want us to check your setting, please enable Zyxel Support

(find the help icon >>support request>>Invite Zyxel support as administrator and save,

please reply us your org and site name. (through message is ok.)

Thank you

Silvia

Silvia,

Thank you for the response.  I have sent a message with the org and site name to you.
  • ivessm
    ivessm Posts: 45  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments
    Support_rcor - I am very interested in the solution to this problem. Please keep us updated on the progress and any findings you might come up with.

-stew

• support_rcor
    ivessm said:
    Support_rcor - I am very interested in the solution to this problem. Please keep us updated on the progress and any findings you might come up with.

-stew

Stew,

I've received some setting change recommendations, and sent the log files to Silvia for further diagnostics.  Will update the thread once it gets resolved.

Brad
  • Zyxel_Silvia
    Zyxel_Silvia Posts: 77  Zyxel Employee
    Friend Collector First Answer
    Hi @support_rcor,

I would create a ticket to follow up your problem,
    please check your mail box.

Thank you.

Silvia

• I would like the answer to above, the NWA1123 have been fab for years and then in the last 18 months randomly disconnect, in the last 3 months more than ever, I have around 6 in the house and each day and night about 5/6 times now 

Nebula Tips & Tricks