Remote VPN and local network DNS conflict with L2Tp wizard?

Options
Ensto
Ensto Posts: 20  Freshman Member
First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector
edited October 2021 in Security
Hi.

I have configured an L2TP VPN connection for remote clients (full tunnel) using only the wizard on my USG20W-VPN for now to learn the necessary config settings on my own.

Why is the remote client PC still asking the local gateway for DNS requests after VPN connection is established on remote client? This causes major problems with accessing NAS resources on our company network. How can I fix this problem easy?

Alot of routers use 192.168.1.1 as standard so this must be a known issue and why would you want a client to use local network dns in full tunnel mode at all? Is it something that has to be addressed in Windows?

Accepted Solution

• Ensto
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Ensto

You can set DNS server on the Remote Access VPN Setup wizard page as below.

Thanks for the answer  :). This solution does unfortunately not solve my problem with remote PC clients that doesn't know they need to bypass the local gateway (at a local Coffee shop as example) before making DNS requests to 192.168.1.1.

I think I solved the problem in another way by using unique subnet addressing on our HQ LAN instead of default (out of the box) addressing.

All Replies

• mMontana
    mMontana Posts: 1,300  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options
    How can I fix this problem easy?

The easy and fast solution is... contact a skilled network technician and provide him any information he/she asks. And pay he/she nicely.

The cheap solution is.. start to provide a bit more information. It's not "easy", but sometimes works.
  • Ensto
    Options
    mMontana said:
    How can I fix this problem easy?

The easy and fast solution is... contact a skilled network technician and provide him any information he/she asks. And pay he/she nicely.

The cheap solution is.. start to provide a bit more information. It's not "easy", but sometimes works.
    OK, I admit my question was a little bit stressed out and rude but I don't know what more information I can provide at the moment so I was hoping for some follow up questions to get in the right direction. Usually I think it's easy and fun to use the Zyxel manuals for self-learning but when i comes to this problem i have no clue whats happening.
  • Zyxel_Jeff
    Zyxel_Jeff Posts: 1,066  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

Hi @Ensto

• Ensto
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Ensto

Thanks for the answer  :). This solution does unfortunately not solve my problem with remote PC clients that doesn't know they need to bypass the local gateway (at a local Coffee shop as example) before making DNS requests to 192.168.1.1.

I think I solved the problem in another way by using unique subnet addressing on our HQ LAN instead of default (out of the box) addressing.

Security Highlight