QoS / BWM - Setup questions

2»

All Replies

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 51  Ally Member
    Friend Collector First Comment
    Yeah, I have been getting less than 100plus for a while so was going to contact them about that anyway...

As you said earlier, a bit of trial and error but boy Zyxel do not make it easy for you to get to those settings.

• [Deleted User]
    So last night I had to disable this.
    • I was doing some upgrades - downloading iso's and other updates - using about 5 Mbit WAN on that, according to the browser download manager.
    • My daughter was gaming and had some game update, that was lagging. No measurements available for that.
    • Later I was watching a movie from my local SMB share via Wifi and it dropped the connection every other minute.
    • Wife couldn't check her e-mail and frankly, neither could I. Not locally and not via browser either.
    I wasn't even able to logon to the router while the WAN bandwidth was busy, had to cancel and restart some of the updates. 1st time ever, and I mean EVER, I had this issue under these circumstances.

Maybe I had something wrong, but just to repeat...

BWM > on
    WAN egress > 101440Kb
    LAN egress > 92160Kb
    Network = fubar.

I agree there is room for adjustments, but using less than 20% of my theoretical B/W on the WAN and having a GB network on the LAN... come on... WIFI is also running at an excess of 400MBit/s local B/W (tested).

@Zyxel_Stanley :  You have any input on this?

• PeterUK
    PeterUK Posts: 2,653  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer

What did you had to disable?

If your bandwidth drop below the set limits by your ISP the BWM can't work and so you you buffer by your ISP.

For a fiber to be so bad you likely have a connection problem or a DoS is happening

• [Deleted User]
    edited November 2021
    I disabled BWM and everything started working again. Well, some connections ran out of BW, but that was expected and why I started this venture in the first place.

From my simplified understanding of QoS the BWM setting should work to prevent the BW loss on connected clients/devices by monitoring and distributing available BW so no one goes without. Am I getting anything wrong here?

There are no reported connection problems, there is no reason to suspect a DoS. I am in Sweden, my ISP had no incidents reported in my area, is well renowned and have to comply with quality and regulation standards legislation. So definitely not a cowboy company sucking up consumers money on tin wire.

• PeterUK

Disabling BWM should not of solved anything.

If the available bandwidth by your ISP is lower then 90Mb the BWM don't work so you buffer by what your ISP QoS is doing likely HFQ by the looks of it.

You want to lower the egress to something your ISP hits all the time yes this is not good if your paying for 100Mb and your limiting lower then that but even without the USG you would have had a problem anyway and got buffer bufferbloat “C”.

• [Deleted User]
    PeterUK said:

If the available bandwidth by your ISP is lower then 90Mb the BWM don't work so you buffer by what your ISP QoS is doing likely HFQ by the looks of it.

Sorry, HFQ? I searched for explanations to that acronym, but only found mRNA references... :p

• PeterUK
    edited November 2021

HFQ “host fairness queue” if your ISP has 1Gb of available bandwidth between 20 users on 100Mb and everyone was downloading you each get 50Mb but your connections for that 50Mb are not QoS and neither can the USG QoS if limit is 90Mb but if you limit at say 40Mb then QoS works.

• CHS
    CHS Posts: 177  Master Member
    In my view, if BWM function is enabled and configured multiple guaranteed BW:
    If total guaranteed BW is less than ISP throughput, then client throughput will close to configuration.
    If total guaranteed BW is more than ISP throughput, then sessions will be competited---First in First out. (Total output BW is impossible higher than ISP offered)

Security Highlight