NR7101 - Change WAN interface ISP DNS?

Options
Noddy
Noddy Posts: 47  Freshman Member
First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
edited January 4 in Mobile Broadband
Hello, I have been asking support how to do this with little success so far so thought I would pose the question here. Can anyone help?

On the NR5101 under Broadband section you could edit the WAN interface and change the DNS to say Google 8.8.8.8 or Cloudflare 1.1.1.1 instead of the default ISP resolver.

On the NR7101 that option is missing.

Thanks.

Accepted Solution

• Stiel
    Stiel Posts: 18  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary Friend Collector
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Because NR7101 works differently.
    It is based on the fact, that you will use it in ipbridge mode, so the NR7101 won't have  much to manage, and you will configure your internet on the inside Router.
    As well the mtu, you can set in your inside Router,defaut MTU is 1500, and autofix based on the connection, since NR7101 use dnsmasq and dhcpc.
    Dont think you need to set anything when using ipbridge.
    You would need those setting, if you could use NR7101 as a router, and connect other devices directly to it.
    About the page isbehaviour, i think Router software have most code in common whit other devices, so when it is started fully, you have the options you can actually use.
    Please feel free to ask if you need more info.

All Replies

• Noddy
    Options
    Here is the section in the NR5101 / NR7101.  If you click "modify" you can then amend the WAN settings.

Here is what happens on the NR5101.  (Note the DNS server section, MTU, Encapsulation, all available to edit)

Now here is the same thing on the NR7101.  Where are all the other options?

• Stiel
    Options
    In network setting>Home networking.

Thats where you can set your dns.
  • Noddy
    Options
    Hi. 

Well yeah that sets it for your LAN clients via DHCP.  I do not use the Zyxel for this - I use my mesh Orbi units instead. 

However this does not answer the question as to why, as shown in my screenshots, the NR5101 WAN interface options allow for IGMP Proxy, MTU, Encapsulation and DNS setting alteration under the WAN interface.  The menu items within "Broadband" on the NR7101 shows these headers as well; yet as soon as you click "modify" on the interface - you get a cut down menu.  Where are all the settings?  It is as if they are hidden or been removed.

What happens if I wish to change the MTU value?  Where is that on the NR7101?

Thanks.
  • Stiel
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Because NR7101 works differently.
    It is based on the fact, that you will use it in ipbridge mode, so the NR7101 won't have  much to manage, and you will configure your internet on the inside Router.
    As well the mtu, you can set in your inside Router,defaut MTU is 1500, and autofix based on the connection, since NR7101 use dnsmasq and dhcpc.
    Dont think you need to set anything when using ipbridge.
    You would need those setting, if you could use NR7101 as a router, and connect other devices directly to it.
    About the page isbehaviour, i think Router software have most code in common whit other devices, so when it is started fully, you have the options you can actually use.
    Please feel free to ask if you need more info.
  • Noddy
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Thanks Stiel for the explination - I understand now.  :)
  • Noddy
    Options
    Sorry I did have another question, I've gone to see where IP Passthrough is on the NR7101.  The "Remote Management" section states... Make sure to enable IP Passthrough in Network Setting > Broadband > Cellular IP Passthrough.

I have gone to the location it mentions but I have no "Cellular IP Passthrough menu option?

Page 72 of the user guide (section 6.8) also shows it should be there.
  • Noddy
    Options
    Ah. User Guide appears to be wrong.  Found this - https://support.zyxel.eu/hc/en-us/articles/360021412820-NR7101-How-to-set-bridge-mode-cellular-IP-passthrough- and it is under Network Setting > Broadband > Cellular APN. ;)

Consumer Product Help Center