[NEBULA] ZyXEL GS1900-24E as ethernet to desktops

Options
andis
andis Posts: 4  Freshman Member
Friend Collector First Comment
edited April 2021 in Nebula
Hello,

I am trying to connect GS1900-24E to serve as switch for small office.
I have connected port 1 to my router, and other ports to PCs.
In the switch config I set the gateway address/DNS to match the routers.

The PCs (with manually set IPs within the same subnet) when connected to the switch can't access Internet, neither the router pings.

What am I doing wrong?

Comments

• RUnglaube
    RUnglaube Posts: 135  Ally Member
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Answer First Comment
    edited March 2017
    Options
    @andis have you checked the vlan configuration? it might be that the IP addressing configured in the gateway is using a vlan that hasn't been configured in the GS1900-24E.
    Btw, I'm not totally familiar with GS1900-24E, but seems to be a general networking issue.
    "You will never walk along"
  • SYK
    SYK Posts: 32  Freshman Member
    First Comment Ideas master
    Options
    Why don't you use DHCP server of router? Or check VLAN IDs?

I think "can't ping to router" is not same subnet or VLAN or wrong settings of IPs

Regards,
    yasuto
  • RUnglaube
    Options
    Why don't you use DHCP server of router? Or check VLAN IDs?

Yeah, as Yasuto said, you can configure DHCP server on the router interface. However, if the issue is related with a Vlan ID mismatch, the DHCP won't work anyway. You could validate that first
  • andis
    Options
    Thank you very much for the answers. I suspected VLAN, since not familiar with them. I tagged all my ports under one VLAN, should I give it a specific ID?
  • RUnglaube
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Yes, you need to specify the Vlan ID and it has to be the same ID in switch and gateway interface.
    Unfortunately, I don't have non-nebula switches to help you but you can take a look to this user guide: ftp://ftp.zyxel.com/GS1900-48/user_guide/GS1900-48_V1_Ed2.pdf
  • andis
    Options
    Weird things happen at the router. When I connect the switch to router, the router does not give it an IP address. I tried linking MAC address of a switch port to a specific IP on router, but that didn't help either. It simply won't show up. The cable is OK
  • WebberIT
    WebberIT Posts: 53  Ally Member
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Comment Ideas master
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Hi @andis ,
    I have a suggestion, maybe you can try untagging all the ports in-case mismatch your router's VLAN settings, and make the VLAN consistant with your router or if not configured, default to 1.
    If this doesn't work, also try to match your PCs' IP to your router's interface addressing network or just dont use a static IP let your PC get IP from your router.
  • RUnglaube
    edited March 2017
    Options
    andis wrote: »
    I tagged all my ports

Oh yeah, I missed this part. If you configured the switch ports as tagged, the PC won't work (PCs doesn't handle vlan tags). Maybe this is also affecting the connection to your gateway, it depends on how is your gateway interface configured.
    Good observation @WebberIT
  • Nebula Moderator
    Nebula Moderator Posts: 127  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Comment
    Options
    Dear @andis
    At the moment, this forum is exclusive for ZyXEL Nebula Cloud Solution. Therefore, our Forum Agents cannot give you a formal support about Non-Nebula devices.
    However, we are open and encourage to discuss general networking issues, opening the opportunity for the community members to help as much as they can.

If you required specialized technical assistance for your non-nebula device, we strongly recommend you to submit a support ticket through the Support Service portal in ZyXEL website or refer to Zyxel local support in your country if available.
    Nebula Forum Moderator
  • andis
    Options
    Hello folks,
    I have tried the above suggestions from @WebberIT and @RUnglaube - nothing seems to work. I am starting to doubt my sanity.

Internet comes through a Huawei E5172 mobile router with an ethernet socket, which if connected to a PC, hands out an IP address.
    I also have a ZyXel 24 port switch GS1900-24E.
    I have an ethernet wire running from the router to the switch, and a bunch of other wires going to various PCs.
    I plug in the switch, connect a wire to the router and another wire to a PC.
    PC has a manually set IP to 192.168.1.100, subnet 255.255.255.0
    The switch has a default IP of 192.168.1.1 which I changed to 192.168.1.200, since ...1.1 is already used by the router

I can ping the switch - all fine.
    On the router however I do not see the switch being assigned an IP.
    I tried setting the switch from static to DHCP mode. Nothing. Now I probably have to do reset again, since switch became unreachable.

I don't understand what am I doing wrong?
This discussion has been closed.

Nebula Tips & Tricks