Differences in Standalone vs NCC Basic Configurations

whitej4
whitej4 Posts: 9
First Anniversary First Comment
edited November 2023 in Nebula
I have a NWA210AX that is set up as a central (and only) access point in a residential setting.  I tried it in Standalone mode (which is how I'd  prefer to run it), but was running into problems where some clients would lose internet access for several moments (while still maintaining WiFi connectivity).  I am trying NCC Basic with equivalent (as much as possible) settings so support can help troubleshoot.  So far (it's still too early to be definitive), it seems that running in NCC Basic mode solves these connection problems.  However, I have noticed a few differences between modes and discovering some potentially new problems:
1)  Annoying difference:  in NCC Basic, I can only set up 3 WPA3 SSIDs.  In Standalone, I was able to configure 4 (which is the number I'd like to have)
2)  Potential new problem:  in NCC Basic, it appears that the radios go offline for a minute or two approximately every six hours and an entry shows up in the log stating "Netconf connection is disconnected".  I haven't noticed any device problems when this happens, so maybe it's just losing comms with NCC.

Accepted Solution

• Zyxel_HsinBo
    Zyxel_HsinBo Posts: 220  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited May 2022 Answer ✓

Hi, @whitej4

Thanks for consulting Nebula Support!

As you mentioned, AP under standalone mode could distribute more WPA3-Personal SSID than managed by Nebula since it is our definite limitation to set up at most 3 WPA3-Personal SSID in Nebula.

If you must have the requirement of distributing more than 3 different WPA3-Personal SSID,

You may need to change the management way of AP from Nebula back to standalone mode.

If there is something misconfiguration or problems with setting up AP, please don't hesitate to contact us.

The message “Netconf connection is disconnected” indicates that the AP lost connection with Nebula.

Could you kindly help us to tell if there are other logs showing on Nebula?

If the event happens regularly for a period of about six hours, please help us to check whether there is a reboot time schedule from your upper devices or not.

If this symptom still exists after you did the check, please provide the org/site name and enable Zyxel Access Support (Help > Support request) for us, we will check the problem as soon as possible.

Hope the answer would solve your problems.

Have a nice day, Thank you!

Best Regards,

HsinBo

All Replies

• Zyxel_HsinBo
    edited May 2022 Answer ✓

Hi, @whitej4

Thanks for consulting Nebula Support!

As you mentioned, AP under standalone mode could distribute more WPA3-Personal SSID than managed by Nebula since it is our definite limitation to set up at most 3 WPA3-Personal SSID in Nebula.

If you must have the requirement of distributing more than 3 different WPA3-Personal SSID,

You may need to change the management way of AP from Nebula back to standalone mode.

If there is something misconfiguration or problems with setting up AP, please don't hesitate to contact us.

The message “Netconf connection is disconnected” indicates that the AP lost connection with Nebula.

Could you kindly help us to tell if there are other logs showing on Nebula?

If the event happens regularly for a period of about six hours, please help us to check whether there is a reboot time schedule from your upper devices or not.

If this symptom still exists after you did the check, please provide the org/site name and enable Zyxel Access Support (Help > Support request) for us, we will check the problem as soon as possible.

Hope the answer would solve your problems.

Best Regards,

HsinBo

• whitej4
    whitej4 Posts: 9
    First Anniversary First Comment
    Hello HsinBo, thanks for the quick response.  I'm not sure why the disconnections I mentioned were happening, but they are not as frequent now after the first 24 hours (only happened once in the last 24 hours).  There are no other entries around the time frame that are unusual other than the Netconf message.  It doesn't seem to be causing device problems, so I'm not too concerned (I don't think it's caused by the router - checked those logs and all is well there, though possible an ISP problem).
  • Zyxel_HsinBo
    Hi, @whitej4

We have received your message!
    Since there may be many reasons that cause the AP disconnect with Nebula, thus showing the log you mentioned ( such as DNS server setting, bad environment, and even IP conflict).
    But they would basically happen continuously for the reason above, which is not similar to your scenario.

Could you kindly help us to observe your device usage condition in your daily life?
    If there is any issue you run into related to this, please don't hesitate to contact us at any time!
    We would solve your problems as soon as possible!

Best Regards,

HsinBo

Nebula Tips & Tricks