Zyxel NWA210AX Channel-Power-Range Relation

furkanozbay
furkanozbay Posts: 7
Friend Collector
edited November 2023 in Nebula
Hi, I have NWA210AX AP at home. If I select lower channels like 36, 48 etc. on 5Ghz, I see the Transmit power is 18dBm on Radio Settings (Nebula) If I select higher bands like 153 or 161, I see power is increased to 24dBm.

So one of my questions is: Which situation is better in terms of coverage or are they same? (If we don't mind the interference) I mean I would like to prefer most coverage and wall penetration. I know higher channels have higher frequency which leads to lower coverage. So compensate this, AP increases power right? Is it really need 6 dBm or are there any other things?

The second question is: Can this AP gives 30 dBm as transmit power (without antenna gain or other things)? I mean, is the maximum 30 dBm setting on Nebula interface is for antenna power or overall calculated dBm (adding antenna gain and etc.)

Best Answers

• Zyxel_Bella
    Zyxel_Bella Posts: 428  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓

Hi @furkanozbay

Actually, the power design is by regulations that band 4 channels can be larger than others.

As you mentioned, you would prefer most coverage so dedicated power service in band 4 channels is fine with your scenario if you can ignore the interference condition.

We suggest you could use Wi-Fi Analyzer for Android or Airport for iOS device to scan signal in the furthest location that you will use wireless, because mobile device usually has less antenna capability to transmit and ensure it can recognize signal strength at least -65dBm for better performance.

NWA210AX’s largest power varies in different region:

US (2.4GHz/5GHz): 23/25dBm; EU (2.4GHz/5GHz): 19/22dBm.

The setting on Nebula is without adding antenna gain and array gain.

Thank you

Regards,

Bella

• Zyxel_Bella
    Answer ✓

Hi @furkanozbay

Yes, you’re right! Nebula displays TX power instead of EIRP.

We appreciate you’ve used the APP to measurement for best practice, and we are interested in how you combine Zyxel product with your applications, welcome back to share your deployment, signal analysis and experience.

Thank you and wish you a good day!

Regards,

Bella

All Replies

• Zyxel_Bella
    Answer ✓

Hi @furkanozbay

Actually, the power design is by regulations that band 4 channels can be larger than others.

As you mentioned, you would prefer most coverage so dedicated power service in band 4 channels is fine with your scenario if you can ignore the interference condition.

We suggest you could use Wi-Fi Analyzer for Android or Airport for iOS device to scan signal in the furthest location that you will use wireless, because mobile device usually has less antenna capability to transmit and ensure it can recognize signal strength at least -65dBm for better performance.

NWA210AX’s largest power varies in different region:

US (2.4GHz/5GHz): 23/25dBm; EU (2.4GHz/5GHz): 19/22dBm.

The setting on Nebula is without adding antenna gain and array gain.

Thank you

Regards,

Bella

• furkanozbay
    Friend Collector
    edited May 2022
    I see, so you mean higher channels might have better coverage due to the TX power increase. I have some doubts since higher frequencies lower wall penetration capabilities but as you said it is better to measure. (Actually I was doing some measurements with some apps already but I will do it specifically every scenario while taking notes)

I also get it TX power is at most 22(EU)/25(US)dBm for 5GHz. I also got that transmit power such as 18dBm indicates my TX power. But does the maximum output power, 30 dBm setting, on Nebula indicate EIRP or TX power (for other routers or APs)?

Thanks for the reply :)
  • furkanozbay
    Friend Collector
    edited May 2022
    I think the maximum output power setting on Nebula indicates TX power not EIRP value, because I set it to 10dBm and after some time I see the transmit power was set to 10 dBm. So adding antenna gain and array gain to that will exceeds 10dBm which shows that setting is for TX power not for EIRP
  • Zyxel_Bella
    Answer ✓

Hi @furkanozbay

Yes, you’re right! Nebula displays TX power instead of EIRP.

We appreciate you’ve used the APP to measurement for best practice, and we are interested in how you combine Zyxel product with your applications, welcome back to share your deployment, signal analysis and experience.

Thank you and wish you a good day!

Regards,

Bella

Nebula Tips & Tricks