USG60W slow wifi

Options
gholmer
gholmer Posts: 3
First Comment
edited October 2022 in Security
I'm using a USG60W with a 400M connection from my ISP. With wired connections, I get just over 400, but my wifi speed is about a tenth of that. No VPN in use.

Things I have tried to resolve the issue:
1) verify AP not listed as "limited AP"
2) turn off Anomaly Detection and Protection 
3) turn on Bandwidth Management (no rules added)
4) create new radio definition to enable A-MPxU aggregation

What else can I do? I'd rather not replace the USG60W if I can avoid it.

All Replies

• mMontana
    mMontana Posts: 1,320  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options
    USG60W is 802.11 a/b/g/n or WiFi4, more or less. So 40mbps IMVHO is "not that bad", unless you're living in the middle of the desert or on a top of a mountain without any radio tower closer than 2km.
    You really don't have to replace your USG60W. Maybe you can pair it with an 802.11ax (WiFi6) and enjoy really faster wireless connections.
    Don't forget that the "kick" of performances goes on only with 5Ghz networks...

• gholmer
    Options
    I hadn't thought of that. I could just get another AP and register it to the USG60W at Configuration / Wireless / AP Management, right?
  • mMontana
    mMontana Posts: 1,320  Guru Member
    edited October 2022
    Options
    .... I don't think so.
    The list of the compatible APs for use USG60W as controller is not "that" long, and most of them are not "that" cheap. I mean... old hybrid 802.11n APs compatible are sold more or less than 1/2 of USG60W price, but some 802.11ax no-USG60W-manageable APs (always Zyxel) are sold at close to 1/6 of USG60W pricetag.
    So question is if you want to use USG60W as your wireless dashboard or your configuration can be arranged in a different way.
  • jasailafan
    jasailafan Posts: 192  Master Member
    Options
  • gholmer
    Options
    None of these answers really help me. Would love to hear from Zyxel. If the device is obsolete, maybe a recommendation for a replacement product? Otherwise I'll have to head over to Amazon.
  • Zyxel_Emily
    Zyxel_Emily Posts: 1,298  Zyxel Employee
    Options
    If the device is obsolete, maybe a recommendation for a replacement product?
    Ans: ATP100W

As I mentioned in this discussion, SpeedTest is not used for the official test report because many factors will affect the throughput such as the test PC, the topology and test tool. Here are tests in our office (not shielded room) using SpeedTest for your reference.
    Device: ATP100W
    Firmware: 5.32(ABRW.0)
    Use default configuration file. Disable 2.4G. Only 5G is enabled. 
    WPA2-PSK
    ISP- 1 Gbps

Use iPhone and Windows 10 to connect to SSID of ATP100W to run the throughput.
    wired client: D/U 780/290 Mbps
    iPhone 8 (iOS 15.6.1): D/U 310/210 Mbps
    Windows 10: D/U 280/177 Mbps

Security Highlight