Old USG-1000 user - Licensing clarification for New Zyxel USG Devices

mm_bret
mm_bret Posts: 56  Ally Member
First Anniversary 10 Comments
edited September 2022 in Service & License
We have several USG 1000 devices.
These devices are not quite keeping up with new broadband speeds.

As I research replacements, I'm facing the licensing confusion.

On our old equipment we had no licensing for IPSEC, L2TP tunnels or
licenses to use all the ports. We have no licensing on our USG 1000
devices at all.

I have no clue where Zyxel is going with licenses.

If I bought a USG Flex 200 for example, what will work out the box
with no registration or licenses?

Is the device usable?

Regards,
BS

Accepted Solution

• Zyxel_Jeff
    Zyxel_Jeff Posts: 1,039  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited October 2022 Answer ✓

Hi  @mm_bret

When you enter the brand new device first time, here is an Initial Setup Wizard to guide you on how to complete your device setting. Especially, there is a Register Device procedure and you could click the Register button on this screen to register your device at portal.myzyxel.com.

Then It will redirect to Myzyxel.com. then login with a Myzyxel account to proceed register procedure.

Once it is completed, you can see the message Your device is already registered. Now you can activate all security services. Click Activate All to activate UTM services.

Go back to Initial Setup Wizard, and click Refresh, we can see that Device Register status change to Registered.

Click Next to continue

Click Refresh to check Service License Status.

Click Next to continue.

As for the VAS (value-added services), I think it should be our Cloud Email Security service(MyZyxel> Cloud Services > Cloud Email Security). 

Thanks
    :) .

All Replies

• Zyxel_Jeff

When you purchase a brand new USG Flex 200, you will have IPsec, L2TP, and SSL VPN in default status. Besides, you will also have a 30-day trial UTM license and you can deploy the USG Flex 200 in on-premise or Nebula mode, you can refer to the below table:

The more product information, please refer to this introduction link. You can refer to this link to see where can buy our product. Once the license runs out, you could go to our Marketplace to renew your license service. Thanks :).

• mm_bret
    Pretty clear Jeff, thanks.
    One last thing. Does the device require registration to use?
    Thanks
  • Zyxel_Jeff
    Hi @mm_bret

Once USG Flex200 is connected to the internet first time, its license service will be activated automatically. So, we suggest you register USG Flex 200 to Myzyxel(Please refer to this link.) and go to CONFIGURATION > Licensing > Registration > Service and click the "Service License Refresh" button to make sure your device has the latest security service signature for the better protection :) 
  • mm_bret
    Sounds like it won't work without registration?

• mMontana
    mMontana Posts: 1,298  Guru Member
    AFAIK the device will work. However, some VAS won't work if not registrated.
  • mm_bret
    VAS (value added services)?
  • Zyxel_Jeff
    edited October 2022 Answer ✓

Hi  @mm_bret

When you enter the brand new device first time, here is an Initial Setup Wizard to guide you on how to complete your device setting. Especially, there is a Register Device procedure and you could click the Register button on this screen to register your device at portal.myzyxel.com.

Then It will redirect to Myzyxel.com. then login with a Myzyxel account to proceed register procedure.

Once it is completed, you can see the message Your device is already registered. Now you can activate all security services. Click Activate All to activate UTM services.

Go back to Initial Setup Wizard, and click Refresh, we can see that Device Register status change to Registered.

Click Next to continue

Click Refresh to check Service License Status.

Click Next to continue.

As for the VAS (value-added services), I think it should be our Cloud Email Security service(MyZyxel> Cloud Services > Cloud Email Security). 

Thanks
    :) .

• mm_bret
    Jeff, you are a superstar for helping. This took some time. As well as you represent Zyxel, the registration process is a deal breaker for me..we've been using lots of USG 1000's for years without
    the registration step. The devices are rock solid.

I'm still not sure whether it work without registration...and I see this becoming a bigger part of the
    Zyxel equipment line.

Will keep an eye out for Zyxel's direction. Super bummed because most of the USG mfg's are going that way as well.

Many, Many thanks for your patience,
    Bret

PS. I'll use a Freebsd device for the firewall, and then throw my hands up and accept registration perhaps someday
  • Zyxel_Jeff
    Hello @mm_bret

OK, thanks for your response and you are welcome!

• mm_bret
    Ordered a Flex 200.
    I just miss the Zyxel features too much.
    Plus some of my colocation service users would freak out if they didn't see their normal
    firewall.
    Looking forward to discussions on the new firewall

Service & License Help Center