NWA210AX Standalone vs. Nebula Cloud modes

Options
kevindd992002
kevindd992002 Posts: 17  Freshman Member
First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector
I just got the NWA210AX that I bought and I'm trying to set it up. Which between standalone and Nebula mode are you using? Mine's currently connected to the Nebula Cloud but I'm not sure if it's better to just go standalone. Based on this thread, the Zyxel employee said that there are "more options and flexibility" with the standalone mode but I don't know what that means which is why I posted a comment on that thread.

All Replies

• Zyxel_Jay
    Zyxel_Jay Posts: 163  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

AP in the standalone mode can be set up in the intranet, and AP doesn’t need to be connected to the Nebula server. The AP log will be stored on the AP. If you do not want the AP log to be stored in the cloud, this mode will be suitable for you. Because Nebula mode is convenient for users to use, the function options are relatively fixed. The same function can adjust more parameters in standalone mode, so that article will be expressed as "For standalone has more options and flexibility to cover for corner-case network scenarios not supported in cloud mode".

However, AP in the cloud mode has a lot of new functions like voucher, and it is convenient for you to manage remotely. You can know the status of your AP only through the browser or app.

If you have any needs, please share them with us. We can guide you to set up the setting.

Thanks
    Jay
  • kevindd992002
    Options
    Zyxel_Jay said:

AP in the standalone mode can be set up in the intranet, and AP doesn’t need to be connected to the Nebula server. The AP log will be stored on the AP. If you do not want the AP log to be stored in the cloud, this mode will be suitable for you. Because Nebula mode is convenient for users to use, the function options are relatively fixed. The same function can adjust more parameters in standalone mode, so that article will be expressed as "For standalone has more options and flexibility to cover for corner-case network scenarios not supported in cloud mode".

However, AP in the cloud mode has a lot of new functions like voucher, and it is convenient for you to manage remotely. You can know the status of your AP only through the browser or app.

If you have any needs, please share them with us. We can guide you to set up the setting.

Thanks
    Jay

Hi Jay,

Can you be more specific as to what these "more options and flexibility" are so I don't need to convert the AP to standalone mode? I'm on Nebula mode now.

That's the thing, I need the voucher system but I won't like to pay for it. I have a Ubiquit system in my other house and a unifi controller and I don't have to subscribe to a service just to get things as basic as a voucher system. This is for home user and paying for a subscription will not be economical for me, especially if I just have one AP for now.
  • Zyxel_Jay
    Options

The voucher function is only supported in cloud mode and requires a pro-back license.
    In order to protect customers who buy licenses, we do not have a pro back function in stand-alone mode.
    If you need the voucher function, you must purchase a pro-back license.

Thanks

Jay
  • kevindd992002
    Options

Zyxel_Jay said:

The voucher function is only supported in cloud mode and requires a pro-back license.
    In order to protect customers who buy licenses, we do not have a pro back function in stand-alone mode.
    If you need the voucher function, you must purchase a pro-back license.

Thanks

Jay

Yeah, I know, which sucks. I'm not sure why you can't be competitive enough with Ubiquiti that you require us to buy a license for such a basic functionality.

Can you answer my question regarding your "more options and flexibility" claim?

• Zyxel_Jay
    Options
    Hi @kevindd992002
    Regarding "more options and flexibility" with standalone mode, we want to express that you can set up the configuration for a single AP. That is an advantage that you can adjust the setting based on your environment,
    On Nebula, AP in the same site will set up the same configuration you use SSID tag.
    Here is the list of the function in the standalone.

If you have any question, you can ask us.
    Thanks 
    Jay
  • kevindd992002
    Options
    Zyxel_Jay said:
    Hi @kevindd992002
    Regarding "more options and flexibility" with standalone mode, we want to express that you can set up the configuration for a single AP. That is an advantage that you can adjust the setting based on your environment,
    On Nebula, AP in the same site will set up the same configuration you use SSID tag.
    Here is the list of the function in the standalone.

If you have any question, you can ask us.
    Thanks 
    Jay

Is there a manual that explains all the features in standalone mode?
  • Zyxel_Jay
    Options

You can refer to the NWA210AX user guide

The user guide describes how to use each ap feature.

Let me know if you have any questions about the AP feature.

Thanks

Jay