NBG7510 setting IP in Access Point mode

sLOVEnec
sLOVEnec Posts: 5
Friend Collector First Comment
edited November 2022 in Home Router
Hello all!

I have the following problem: I would like to set manual IP to my NBG7510 router while I have it in Access Point mode. The AP mode works fine, internet is available to wireless and wired clients, the only problem I have is that when I want to change the IP of this router. 

If I go to LAN section, and I see the current IP which was assigned by DHCP of the main router in the network and I try to change it there, it says IP-Address and subnet mask are already in use. 

So, I figured, maybe I'm not supposed to change it IP here. I discovered that I can also change the IP in Network Setting under Home Networking section. I actually can change the IP there, apply the changes and it actually works - but only until reboot/power cycle. The it reverts to the original setting, which acquires the IP from DHCP pool.

So, does anyone have any ideas? I have 10 such routers and they all behave in the exact same way. It is not my first router I'm setting up and up to this point, I've never seen such behaviour.

The Firmware version is V1.00(ABZY.0)C0.

I thank you all for any possible solutions or hints.

Andy

Accepted Solution

All Replies

• tonygibbs16
    tonygibbs16 Posts: 825  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited November 2022
    Hello @sLOVEnec

There is information at https://www.zyxel.com/global/en/products/wifi-router/ax1800-wifi-6-gigabit-router-nbg7510 and downloads at 
    https://www.zyxel.com/global/en/support/download?model=nbg7510 including the User Guide.

There are release notes in the downloads area for V1.00(ABZY.2)C0 so you might want to try updating to that version to see if it helps you.

You might also want to try to make your main router give the same static IP address by DHCP to your Zyxel device.

Kind regards,
         Tony
  • Zyxel_Kay
    Zyxel_Kay Posts: 522  Zyxel Employee
    edited December 2022

Hi @sLOVEnec

This problem has been fixed at the latest firmware, so please upgrade your NBG7510 firmware to the latest firmware V1.00(ABZY.2)C0.

You may upgrade your firmware at the web configurator > Maintenance > Firmware Upgrade

Hi @tonygibbs16

Thanks for your help!  :)

Kay

Kay

• First, thanks for the swift replies @tonygibbs16 and @Zyxel_Kay.

The thing is, I already have the V1.00(ABZY.0)C0 version of the firmware and the Firmware Upgrade section claims my firmware is up to date. Perhaps the error crept back in C0 version which seems to have been fixed in b7_2022012401. Is it possible to revert to that firmware?

I, of course, could bind the MAC address of the router to a specific IP, but I prefer setting static IPs for all the critical network infrastructure (APs, switches, routers, range extenders and obviously servers). A hard learned lesson forces me to think that way, I had a customer who ran DHCP from Windows server in his company. An employee had a very bright idea of plugging in a router because he wanted to have wireless in his office. And it worked for a while until a situation happened where router started giving out his DHCP while server was rebooting. Result: half of the company suddenly couldn't connect to server, print or send email, but internet worked.

• Zyxel_Kay

The screenshot, that attached previously, just want to show you the firmware upgrade direction, if you have upgraded to the latest firmware, it will be showing, “Your firmware is up to date”. Sorry for making you have a misunderstanding. 

From your description, it seems that after the employee installing the router, it makes the clients can surf the Internet but couldn’t connect to the server, may I have more details with your network deployment like topology to show how you connect your network devices and end devices? 

Kay

Kay

• Hi @Zyxel_Kay

Please, disregard the story about employee installing the router. I wrote that to illustrate the possible problems I like to avoid by having static IPs on Access Points. The main problem that I wrote about remains, I have the latest firmware and I can't set a static IP when in Access Point mode.

Is the error GUI related and could be fixed by setting IP via CLI? Is there a beta firmware I could use?

Andy
  • tonygibbs16
    tonygibbs16 Posts: 825  Guru Member
    edited November 2022
    Hello @sLOVEnec Andy,

Thinking about your issue further, one of your screenshots shows the Zyxel device saying "IP address and subnet mask already in use."
          - I wonder if this is the Zyxel device in AP mode (bridge) saying that the IP address you want to assign it is being used by a client on the LAN because the main router has already given it out by DHCP to another device?

If yes, then something that might work for you would be to change your main router so that it does not give out IP addresses .200 to .254 from its DHCP server.
             - then you could/might be able to static assign one of those IP addresses between .200 and .254 to your Zyxel device...

You will probably need to reboot your main router to clear out its DHCP lease assignments, and you might probably have to reboot all of your clients to make sure that they don't have IP addresses leased in the .200 to .254 range.

Then you might be able to statically assign an IP address from the range .200 to .254 to your Zyxel device...

I hope that this works for you.

Kind regards,
         Tony
  • Hi @tonygibbs16

It was the first thing I checked. I tried many free IP addresses that I have available, and none of them worked. Even when I built a test setup in my office with totally different network segments, I had no luck. Which ever IP address I choose to set, the result is always the same, router always refuses to change it with the answer that the IP-Address and subnet is already in use.

Andy
  • Zyxel_Kay

Please help me to do a reset with the router, and check that is the firmware upgrade available. 

If the problem still assists, please enable the remote management and private message us your WAN IP and login password, we will help you to have a further check. 

Direction: Maintenance > Remote Management 

Kay 

Kay

• Zyxel_Kay
    Answer ✓

About your problem that LAN IP setting doesn’t work in AP mode, this problem has been fixed in the latest firmware V1.00(ABZY.3)C0. 

Here is the release note for you to refer:  
    https://download.zyxel.com/NBG7510/release_note/NBG7510_100ABZY3C0.pdf 

Kay 

Kay

• Hi @Zyxel_Kay,

Finally I had time to check this and indeed the new firmware works without any errors and I can now manually assign IP while in AP mode. Thank you for your help.

Andy

Consumer Product Help Center