Fan speed control on Zyxel switch?

I have a 48 port variant of the Zyxel managed switch. It's in my garage which is very cool in temperature, especially this time of year (very wintery October/November) around 50°F.

Currently, I have found no way to control the fan speed which seems to be full throttle all the time. I get the reason is to prevent overheating, but it genuinely does not need to be doing this. 

I have searched up and down online and anytime I use "fan" or "control" in a search, I get results for ceiling fan accessories.
Using my model of switch yields poor results and schematics either don't exist or are poorly documented. 

I'm looking for info on how to control the fan speed so it isn't screaming. I made a stop to the forums to see if any info could be shared on how this can be achieved short of opening the switch and either unplugging the fan entirely or replacing it with a more reasonable noctua fan of the correct size. 

If I have to go the replacement route, will the switch throw an error or have a fit bc the right fan isn't plugged in or it can't go the desired speed?

The fan could enjoy some longevity and power efficiency if slowed down. There's benefit outside of just being quieter. 

All Replies

• Zyxel_Melen
    Zyxel_Melen Posts: 1,593  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited November 2022
    Hi @Waffles779,

Could you share your switch model and its current firmware version? So I can help to clarify your problem.
    If you can, please also collect the Tech support file from the below path and PM the file to me.
    Menu > Maintenance > tech support > All to collect, thanks.

Zyxel Melen

• Zyxel_Melen
    Hi @Waffles779,

We understand fan noise is a common issue. If you want the fan can be more silent, our SMB products, like GS1920 and upper-level models, have fan-control feature.

Zyxel Melen

• So your solution is to purchase a different product? That's not a solution, that's ignoring the problem and getting a different product. This is not helpful at all. I'm better off soldering in a dial resistor and controlling the fan physically. 

Can you imagine this answer in another context for a moment? Lets say i have a needlessly noisey xbox and i called up support and their solution was to get a playstation. I'd laugh them off the bloody phone.
  • Zyxel_Melen
    Hi @Waffles779,

I assume the GS1900-48 switch you are using is an old one with an old hardware version. The old hardware version GS1900 does not support smart fan. And that's why I have to mention the other switch model, not just GS1920 and above but also the new GS1900 support smart fan.

I will send the fan spec to you for reference. Also, I would like to mention that if you swap the fan with a lower r.p.m might have more silence but will reduce the reliability of your switch.

In addition, the switch will throw an error if the fan is not plugged in, but won't have an error if the speed is not desired.

Zyxel Melen

• Is it possible to trade in my old GS1900-48 for the updated hardware that supports fan control?
    I'd rather have the unit replaced than disassemble it for a fan mod. 

The only benefit to tearing it down is to document its layout and how to control the fan without the new hardware. There are plenty of standard computer parts that can fill in the gaps such as a PCI slot knob and a noctua fan of appropriate size.

If there's a way to get a new one sent and send back my old hardware, I'd think that's the path of least resistance. 

Let me know what I can do please. 
  • MarkoD
    MarkoD Posts: 35  Freshman Member
    Hi @Waffles779,

I assume the GS1900-48 switch you are using is an old one with an old hardware version. The old hardware version GS1900 does not support smart fan. And that's why I have to mention the other switch model, not just GS1920 and above but also the new GS1900 support smart fan.

I will send the fan spec to you for reference. Also, I would like to mention that if you swap the fan with a lower r.p.m might have more silence but will reduce the reliability of your switch.

In addition, the switch will throw an error if the fan is not plugged in, but won't have an error if the speed is not desired.

Hi Melen, can you confirm that the newer HW revision of GS1900 (named GS1900v2?) does support the Smart Fan feature?

• Zyxel_Melen
    Hi @MarkoD,

Yes, the GS1900v2 does support the Smart Fan feature.
    We understand that customers like more silence when the switch operates, so we enhanced this feature in the new models.
    For more information about the GS1900v2, you can check the datasheet for clarification.

Zyxel Melen

• Hi @MarkoD,

We understand that customers like more silence when the switch operates, so we enhanced this feature in the new models.
    For more information about the GS1900v2, you can check the datasheet for clarification.
    From a hardware standpoint, how does one differentiate the old from the V2?

I finally got around to disassembling the switch, which was probably a dozen screws. The device is very simple on the inside. Also very dusty. Why is there no filter on this device that's meant to be in a rack sucking in air 24/7? 

I discovered what looks to be a pwm fan. It looks to be a standard 40mm case fan. If this is the V1, it should be capable of controlling the fan electrically. If this is the V2, I wouldn't have ever known bc it's noted nowhere on the switch or in the software. 

The thing that baffles me the most is why the fan control either doesn't exist or is hidden from the user interface. In fact, the interface shows no Temps either.

When I plugged in a different 40mm fan from Microcenter, it didn't spin. Upon closer inspection, the OEM zyxel fan has non-standard wiring. 

These design decisions are questionable at best.
  • Hi @MarkoD,

From a hardware standpoint, how does one differentiate the old from the V2?

I finally got around to disassembling the switch, which was probably a dozen screws. The device is very simple on the inside. Also very dusty. Why is there no filter on this device that's meant to be in a rack sucking in air 24/7? 

I discovered what looks to be a pwm fan. It looks to be a standard 40mm case fan. If this is the V1, it should be capable of controlling the fan electrically. If this is the V2, I wouldn't have ever known bc it's noted nowhere on the switch or in the software. 

The thing that baffles me the most is why the fan control either doesn't exist or is hidden from the user interface. 
  • Zyxel_Melen
    Hi @Waffles779,

Thanks for asking.
    The reset button and the device model name mark are different between GS1900v1 and GS1900v2.
    You could reference the below photo to compare:

This device is intended for use in a business environment and is typically placed in an enclosed location. If the switch is placed in an open area, it may be beneficial to use a fanless device or an industrial switch with a fan filter to prevent dust buildup.
    Keep in mind that adding a fan filter may decrease the amount of airflow, so it is important to regularly clean dust from the device to ensure proper heat dissipation.

In addition, do the replacement fan specifications match the ones I previously sent? If they do not, it might lead to the fan not functioning correctly.

Zyxel Melen