backup password

When I upgraded my hard drive on my nas326 the capacity would not increase so I did a backup to external HD and deleted the volume and recreated it.
Now I am trying to restore and it is asking me password. I did not set up password for the backup. That I know.
Help.!!

All Replies

• ikubuf
    ikubuf Posts: 134  Ally Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Which software application do you use to backup the file?
  • tgo
    tgo Posts: 7
    First Comment
    edited November 2022
    backup planner. That is the only backup software on the zyxel desktop. 

• tgo
    First Comment
    edited November 2022
    Just checked backup planner by trying to create new backup. The password field is activated only if I choose the encrypt choice. Which I did not  choose. Therefore I did not set a password. Why is it asking me and how can I restore my files?
  • tgo
    First Comment
    edited November 2022
    Any support staff on this question? I need to restore my data.
  • Zyxel_Jerry
    Zyxel_Jerry Posts: 1,026  Zyxel Employee
    edited November 2022
    Hi @tgo

You can check the schedule process of the backup.
    Do you enable the encryption when doing the backup?

There are two types of file after done backup (.dar &.lst).

When restoring the data, if there is no encryption, it can directly get into the restore process without the pop up message ask for the password.

If you have seen the pop up message, it means you've enabled encryption when doing the backup.
  • tgo
    First Comment
    Thanks Jerry. 2 issues.

1. As I indicated above I did not enable encryption.
    That is how I know I did not use password.
    It was meant to be a quick deleting the volume and restoration job I didn't want/need encryption or password.
    Since one is not activated without activating the other (which I checked) it seems unlikely I did it unknowingly.

2. I am not getting the backup in to the system to see or edit the schedule  process. I deleted the entire volume and recreated it. Therefore I assume it is a completely new system. The backup file is in an external disk.
    when I try to add it to the backup program, it is asking me a password. 
  • tgo
    First Comment
    edited December 2022
    Curious also since it says "if you had protected the data with a password" the pop up must shows up even when one didn't use password. 
  • tgo
    First Comment
    One more thing.
    There are only .dar files and a file with only extension (.zydar_lock_file_BA11) file. No .lst file.

• Zyxel_Jerry
    Zyxel_Jerry Posts: 1,026  Zyxel Employee
    Hi @tgo

When there is a .zydar_lock_file show in the backup folder, that means the backup process is not finished when doing the backup process. 
    Normally when the backup is done, there should have two type of files in the folder.(.dar &.lst).
    And if there is no .lst file, the NAS could not do the restore without it.

If the backup process is still exist, there is a way to get the data back if you've done the backup before with the backup jobs.
    However the volume is deleted, the backup job was removed by volume deleting, so you can no longer see the job in the list after you create a new volume, you may not get the data back.
  • I had the same issue trying to recover data, looks like back up failed to complete. You will probably notice there isn't a file tree list when recovering.

You could try using the command line tool 'disk archive' I haven't had any luck with it yet. I can recover with it completed back ups but not incomplete ones

Consumer Product Help Center