GS1200-5/-8 stuck in upgrade mode after upgrade via vpn/different subnet

Chris78
Chris78 Posts: 3
Friend Collector First Comment
edited November 2022 in Switch
When upgrading two GS1200-5/-8 from F/W V2.00(ABME.1)C0 to F/W V2.00(ABME.2)C0 and F/W V2.00(ABKM.1)C0 to F/W V2.00(ABKM.2)C0 respectively via VPN (different subnet) the web ux of both switches got stuck in firmware upgrade mode.

Configuration was fine, switches continued working, but web was inaccessible besides upgrade mode. Repeated upgrades didn't help.

I had to go on site to connect to LAN to do the upgrade once again to finally switch back to normal web ux fortunately.

Quite annoying and defeats the idea of remote upgrades via web interface.

Regards

All Replies

• Zyxel_Chris
    Zyxel_Chris Posts: 653  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    @Chris78,
    Was there any error message pop-up when stock on the firmware upgrade page, also would it help to click the cancel button?
    Chris
  • fe80
    fe80 Posts: 1
    First Comment
    I had this same problem upgrading a brand new GS1200-5 from F/W V2.00(ABKM.1)C0 to F/W V2.00(ABKM.2)C0 .  In my case I was accessing the switch via firefox on a Linux system.  The upgrade button seemed to attempt to push firmware (the connected switch port flashed rapidly) but would fail after the 30 second timer finished.  Cancel would reboot the switch, but the UI was stuck in firmware upgrade mode.  Reset and power off/on did not change things.

In the end I looked at the page source and used an external tool to push the update.  Since I was on Linux, I used the 'curl' command, like this (from a shell / command line):

curl -F 'firmware=<firmware.bin' --output curl.out 'http://192.168.1.3/httpupg.cgi?cmd=fw_upgrade'

where I had previously renamed the firmware file to 'firmware.bin' (I don't think this was necessary), and sending the output to curl.out made curl's built-in output check happy.

This seemed to take longer than 30 seconds, so I suspect that the timeout in the web page code is too short.

• @Chris78,
    Was there any error message pop-up when stock on the firmware upgrade page, also would it help to click the cancel button?

No, no error msg. Just plain upgrade mode. Over and over again. If I clicked cancel it would say "upgrade failed" but stay in upgrade mode. Only way was to go on site an connect to LAN. One further difference was that remotely I used Windows 10 (Firefox and Chrome, tried both), and on site I used Firefox on Linux.
  • Zyxel_Chris
    @Chris78,
    Have checked on this and it should be the firmware upload did not finish in 40 seconds, therefore the device will stay on the upload page until the next time uploads successfully, this is to prevent any abnormal event during the upgrade and cause the device boot up failed.
    Because our firmware size is around 6xx KB in the usual case should finish the upload in 40 seconds, therefore might need you to confirm the upload speed or the connection quality in the environment.
    Chris
  • Yeah, doesn't convince me. Line was like 40 MBit/s, not 15 Kbit/s. The upload was seemingly finished very quickly.

Plus it should be possible to exit firmware upgrade mode easily which it wasn't.

Cheers
  • Zyxel_Chris
    @Chris78,
    The connection quality might also affect if there is a lot of re-transmission and could also not finish in 40 seconds.

The reason why cannot leave the upgrade page is that the switch is doing the upgrade while uploading the firmware, if it doesn't finish in time then it might break the boot image and cause the switch not boot up to prevent this therefore it will stay in this page until upload successfully.
    We'll improve the message wording if it fails to upgrade, in case the user misunderstands.

Chris
  • AlbeGonza
    AlbeGonza Posts: 1
    First Comment
    edited September 2023

Indeed, the upgrade fails from both Firefox and Chrome.

I can confirm that the "curl" method pointed out by fe80 works perfectly.

Based on that, this is my shell script to upgrade the firmware on GS1200-8:

#!/bin/sh

if [ $# -lt 1 ]
    then
    echo "Usage: GS1200_firmware_upgrade.sh IP"
    exit 1
    fi U_IP=$1
    rm GS1200-*.bin 2>/dev/null
    unzip -u GS1200-*.zip
    U_FIRM=`ls GS1200-*.bin`
    curl -F "firmware=<$U_FIRM" -o /dev/null "http://$U_IP/httpupg.cgi?cmd=fw_upgrade"

The upload time is 25 seconds:

$ ./GS1200_firmware_upgrade.sh 192.168.1.3
    Archive: GS1200-8_V2.00(ABME.2)C0.zip
    inflating: GS1200-8_ReleaseNote_V2.00(ABME.2)C0.pdf

inflating: GS1200-8_V2.00(ABME.2)C0.bin

% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
    Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
    100 676k 0 183 100 676k 7 27049 0:00:25 0:00:25 --:--:-- 19181

• Hello,

I've found this topic after two failed attempt to upgrade firmware on GS1200-5 v2 and GS1200HP-8 v2 with firmware released in November 2023.

I'm astonished that, one year later, there is exaclty the same issue.

A colleague solved via culr, but for me both switches were ready for RMA. Very bad, Zyxel. :|

• Oh, I forgot to mention that upgrade are done in standard 1 Gbit LAN, so there aren't network issues of any kind

• Zyxel_Melen
    Zyxel_Melen Posts: 1,590  Zyxel Employee
    edited December 2023

Hi @Infoera,

Thank you for sharing your details. I've conducted a few tests locally using Chrome on Ubuntu, and everything worked properly. Could you please specify the browser and operating system you're using for the upgrade? This additional information would be helpful.

Zyxel Melen