Multy M1 Info before purchase

Options
walkerx
walkerx Posts: 7  Freshman Member
First Anniversary Friend Collector First Comment
edited December 2022 in Multy WiFi System
Hi,

I've been looking at getting a Zyxel mesh setup and looking online the M1 should meet my needs, but have seen some conflicting information regarding it. I have tried looking for a pre-sales support number in UK but there doesn't seem to be any way of calling them, so hopefully someone can answer my questions.

Currently I have a few Zyxel switches (managed) and was using an Asus ZenWiFi XT8 but this had hardware issues and kept rebooting itself, the supplier couldn't replace with another, so have refunded me and in the meantime while I find another unit I'm currently using a TP-Link Deco M5 which has extremely limited configuration.

The netgears are over-priced for what they are and thought about the Zyxel mesh due to also having Zyxel switches.

So does the unit have WiFi 6 capability as some users are saying no on Amazon, but the product says yes.

Will there be much performance increase over the Deco M5?

Can the unit work with VLAN to keep the guest network separate from the main network.

Will the guest network work if use ethernet backhaul to main unit?

Can the guest or main network be separated between 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz? Can you see what band a device is connected to and always lock it to that band?

Can it cope with about 50 - 60 wired/wifi devices (not all on at once, ie mobile phones, game consoles, tv's, streaming boxes, lights, alexa/google speaker, etc)

Is there full configuration of the network side locally (ie firewall, port forwarding, remote syslogging, qos settings, etc, etc) or is it extremely limited.

What are the benefits of the cloud system and is it secure?

All Replies

• Zyxel_Kay
    Zyxel_Kay Posts: 562  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

Thanks for interesting in our products! :D 

For the questions you enquired, I listed it below: 

1. Does the unit have WiFi 6 capability as some users are saying no on Amazon, but the product says yes. 
      Yes, Multy M1 does equip with WiFi 6 technology. Please note that WiFi 6 function like OFDMA and DL/UL MU-MIMO is turning off by default, you may enable it at Web Configurator >> Settings >> WiFi.

2. Will there be much performance increase over the Deco M5? 
      Deco M5 is equipped with WiFi 5 technology, while Multy M1 is with WiFi 6. WiFi 6 support OFDMA and DL/UL MU-MIMO technology which improving the traffic efficiency. Besides, the transmit & receive rate of Multy M1 is 574 Mbps for 2.4GHz band and 1201Mbps for 5GHz. 

3. Can the unit work with VLAN to keep the guest network separate from the main network. 
      No, but the guest network is isolated with the main network in default. 

4. Will the guest network work if use ethernet backhaul to main unit? 
      Guest WiFi network is not able to reach main network even the main multy and satellite are using Ethernet backhaul connected. Is that the issue you concern? 
    5. Can the guest or main network be separated between 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz? Can you see what band a device is connected to and always lock it to that band?
      The main network WiFi band can be separated in 2.4GHz and 5GHz, but the guest network cannot. You may look up which band a device is connected at Web Configurator/Zyxel Multy mobile app >> Parental Control >> Device, but there is not supported the device lock to certain band.  

6. Can it cope with about 50 - 60 wired/wifi devices (not all on at once, ie mobile phones, game consoles, tv's, streaming boxes, lights, alexa/google speaker, etc)
      Yes, for WiFi devices can connect up to 128 devices and for the max. of connected devices (included the 128 wireless device and wired device) is 254.

7. Is there full configuration of the network side locally (ie firewall, port forwarding, remote syslogging, qos settings, etc, etc) or is it extremely limited.
      The Multy M1 has the Firewall (ex: SPI, DoS Prevention, MAC Filter, TCP/IP Filter) and NAT & Port Forwarding configuration. For other function that Multy M1 supported, you may refer to this datasheet: Multy M1 (WSM20)_2.pdf (zyxel.com) 

8. What are the benefits of the cloud system and is it secure?
      With the Zyxel Multy Mobile App, you may monitor and configure your Multy device with the app anytime, anywhere with signing in your myCloud-sso account. 

Kay 

Kay

Consumer Product Help Center