WiFi versus Wireless LANs

Options

I've just started learning about Wireless networks and i have a question about the terms "Wifi" and "wirless Lan"

Whenever I think of WiFi, I think of connecting wirelessly to the network and to the internet, which is basically what a WLAN is, right?

Can these 2 terms be used interchangeably or is there any major difference between a WiFi and a Wireless LAN?

Accepted Solution

• Zyxel_Jay
    Zyxel_Jay Posts: 163  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited December 2022 Answer ✓
    Options

In general, "WiFi" and "wireless LAN" refer to the same concept: the transmission of data over a wireless connection using radio waves. However, when "WiFi" is used more specifically, it refers to a specific protocol, such as WiFi 1 through 6, which involves the development of products that adhere to a set of agreed-upon standards. These products are designed to be compatible with the WiFi protocol and allow users to connect to the internet wirelessly.

Jay

All Replies

• Zyxel_Jay
    Zyxel_Jay Posts: 163  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited December 2022 Answer ✓
    Options

In general, "WiFi" and "wireless LAN" refer to the same concept: the transmission of data over a wireless connection using radio waves. However, when "WiFi" is used more specifically, it refers to a specific protocol, such as WiFi 1 through 6, which involves the development of products that adhere to a set of agreed-upon standards. These products are designed to be compatible with the WiFi protocol and allow users to connect to the internet wirelessly.

Jay
  • olansgzsid
    Options

Jay
    Thanks for precious response... Appreciated your efforts...!!!