Fan speed control on Zyxel switch?

Options
2»

All Replies

• Waffles779
    Options
    Thank you for the images, they are helpful. It looks like I have the V1.

Fortunately, I was able to rewire the fan header on the new fan and make it match the OEM fan. It works perfectly and is much quieter. 

I don't think fanless is a good idea after seeing the inside of my switch. There is a heatsink that gets pretty toasty to the touch
    (it won't burn or anything but it's uncomfortable after a few seconds)

I don't know the OEM fan specs, but it doesn't seem to matter all that much to the switch. It'll operate with or without a fan and has no way of telling apart one fan from another. The RPMs are not listed on the fan or in the software, so I can't say I have a matching fan but it's certainly quieter. (didn't require any mods either besides correct wiring)

For owners of the V1, a quieter fan is about $7 and 10 screws. Fanless is not a good idea unless you have other airflow to offer such as leaving the switch open with maybe a 120mm fan (120s are very quiet) pointed at it. This thing NEEDS some kind of airflow to maintain performance. 
  • andreaswollmann
    Options

Hello,
    I have, among other things, a GS1920-24HP V1 switch.
    Firmware version V4.50(AAOC.3) | 05/20/2020
    The fans have 3 pins.
    I can't find any option in the menu to switch on the fan speed in a temperature-controlled manner.
    What am I doing wrong?

I thank you in advance.

Andreas Wollmann

• StefanZ
    StefanZ Posts: 190  Master Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

One solution would be to plug an external controller between the switch and the fan.

Ideally this would have a thermistor and power the fan accordingly.

I personally would solve this problem with a microcontroller, a PT100 sensor and a mosfet.

If you don't suck at analog electronics – like me – you could also use a PTC/NTC, some resistors, an opamp and a transistor.

Or just buy it for some bucks: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001581225565.html

Depending on the fan model you also might have digital RPM out to work with.

• andreaswollmann
    Options

I am an embedded software developer ;)
    I am familiar with analog circuits at a low level.

Actually you would have to read ALL temperatures from the controller via SMBus / RS232 and control the fan speed accordingly if necessary.

Alternatively, you can load the switch and then look in the switch display (or with a thermal imaging camera) to see which component warms up the most. And use this component as a reference for an analog fan control.

My problem: I don't have time for this fun project.

And on the other hand, it makes me sad that the devices in this price range don't have a fan control.

• StefanZ
    StefanZ Posts: 190  Master Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

The manual for the v2 has the positions of the sensors: "BOARD / MAC and PHY/POWER".
    But you are right, this is not super simple. If you want to do it right.

Alternatively rip out the fan and see if it is just a crappy model – then replace with some Noctua or whatever silent fan is the rage at the moment.