AX7501-B0 - Cannot connect to Disney Plus using Wifi - But can via another AP's WiFi

Options
Hello,

Recently got this AX7501-B0 router as we upgraded our Home internet to Hyperfibre2, 2000Mbps Up and Down.

We have had Disney Plus for over a year, and it works fine to our TV and Mobiles (All Android), however after we got this new Router we cannot connect to Disney plus on ANY of the mobile phones anymore, when connected to the Zyxel's WiFi.

However as a test, I connected a basic Ethernet to Wifi AP to one of the Zyxel Ethernet ports, and when we connect our phones to this WiFi, we can now connect to Disney Plus without a problem.

I have checked all sorts of things and I just cannot figure out why the Zyxel's wifi cannot connect to Disney plus on the phones (but can to the Samsung Smart TV), but when connected to the basic AP's WiFi it all works correctly.

I have tried enabling and disabling 2.4G and 5.0G Wifi one by 1 and connecting to each separate (as currently they both share the same SSID) but that didnt do anything. I have tried changing to Googles DNS, instead of ISP, and that didnt do anything. I have tried turning the Firewall on the Zyxel to Low instead of Medium, and that didnt change anything.

Its not just 1 phone that does this, its all 4 of the phones in the house, all are different models, but all are Android.
They all work totally fine to Disney Plus when on Mobile Data (SIM card), and when connected via this 2nd AP's Wifi, but just not to the Zyxel's Wifi.

The TV works fine to the Zyxels' WiFi though, so that is super weird.

I just cannot understand what is happening.

Does anyone know?

All Replies

• tonygibbs16
    tonygibbs16 Posts: 842  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Hello @WanaGo

From search on the Internet, it seems that there are certain domains that need to be whitelisted in order for DisneyPlus to work.

see for example, the information at https://support.opendns.com/hc/en-us/articles/360037591112-Domains-to-Allow-for-Disney-Plus 

The extra AP that you have tested is probably going through a different set of firewall rules in the AX7501-B0 though, otherwise it should hit whitelisting issues too...as should your TV, so something else is happening with the mobiles...

Are you able to run a packet tracer on one of your Android phones to see what the different behaviour is when connecting on the extra AP compared to mobile network connection and compared to connecting on the AX7501-B0's own WiFi?

I have used PacketCapture before, and had success with it on my own Android devices, and it is in the Google Play store, see https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=app.greyshirts.sslcapture&hl=en&pli=1 

Alternatively PCAPdroid seems good, see https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.emanuelef.remote_capture&hl=en_GB&gl=US , and it allows you to export a PCAP file which you could then analyse in Wireshark.
              - lots of good support from its developer too, and lots of good reviews.

I think that more information is needed to see what is going on.
          - you could share the PCAP files here if you want to, for us to analyse them...and if you trust us.

I hope that this is helpful.

Kind regards,
         Tony
  • WanaGo
    WanaGo Posts: 3
    Friend Collector First Comment
    Options
    Hello @WanaGo

From search on the Internet, it seems that there are certain domains that need to be whitelisted in order for DisneyPlus to work.

see for example, the information at https://support.opendns.com/hc/en-us/articles/360037591112-Domains-to-Allow-for-Disney-Plus 

The extra AP that you have tested is probably going through a different set of firewall rules in the AX7501-B0 though, otherwise it should hit whitelisting issues too...as should your TV, so something else is happening with the mobiles...

Are you able to run a packet tracer on one of your Android phones to see what the different behaviour is on the extra AP compared to on the AX7501-B0's own WiFi?

I have used PacketCapture before, and had success with it on my own Android devices, and it is in the Google Play store, see https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=app.greyshirts.sslcapture&hl=en&pli=1 

Alternatively PCAPdroid seems good, see https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.emanuelef.remote_capture&hl=en_GB&gl=US , and allows you to export a PCAP file which you could then analyse in Wireshark.

I think that more information is needed to see what is going on.

I hope that this is helpful.

Kind regards,
         Tony
    Hi Tony

Thanks for the reply

So the list of domains you have linked to in that first URL, how do you add them to the Zyxel to whitelist? I cannot see anywhere to add a whitelist of domains...

I will try the packet tracer and see what it shows, will reply back with what I find. As of right now, Disney plus is also not working on the 2nd WiFi or Mobile Data on my phone, so no idea what is going or or what has changed. Ill try again in the morning.

Thanks
  • WanaGo
    WanaGo Posts: 3
    Friend Collector First Comment
    Options
    Cleared the Cache and Data on Disney Plus, and once again I got it working correctly on the 2nd Wifi, but not on the Zyxel Wifi.

I installed PCAPdroid and started a capture for just Disney Plus app, and when on the Zyxel WiFi via the PCAPdroid VPN, Disney Plus works... However when the VPN is off (not capturing) it is not working. Looking at comments on PCAPdroid download page in Play Store, others have the same issue. It only seems to work if you have Root on Android, which none of our devices currently do - so I am not sure this is going to help find the issue.

Curious how a VPN enables this issue to go away though...

I tried the PacketCapture too, and while that does not make Disney Plus work when on its VPN, I cannot tell a difference between a working connection and a failed connection with its output.

I will see if I can install Disney Plus on my old Samsung Galaxy S2 which was rooted, and see if that has the same issues, and see if I can capture anything different there.

Consumer Product Help Center